HAIRLINE CRACKS IN COMBUSTOR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Checked my cat combustor this morning and noticed some hairline cracks in some of the cells. No crumbling or breakups, just cracks mostly about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. Stove is only 1 year old and my wood is very well seasoned. Combustor still glows and seems to work fine.

Called Woodstock, they said that is the first sign of thermo shock, but if it still works and hasn't crumbled it doesn't need replacing. They usually don't start cracking for a few years. Thermo shock is caused by adding wet or snow covered wood to the fire and engaging the cat before the moisture is burned off. It's like sending hot steam through the cooler cat. I keep a weeks worth of wood inside next to stove so that can't be the problem. Maybe I engage the cat too soon, but my probe thermometer is always over 600 when I engage. Anyway, Woodstock says the cat is prorated if it fails before it's time.

Anyone else notice these hairline cracks in their cats?

Upon further review, some of the cracks go all the way through to the other side and there are more cracks than when I first looked. I called Woodstock again and talked to a tech trying to figure whats going. Could be too much draft, might install a pipe damper. They are sending a new cat free of charge. Great service!

That's what I call customer service. You know you could have gotten a less that stellar cat to begin with.
It may not have been caused by your stove opperations but atleast you know better to wait a bit longer before engagement

where did you buy the cat?

what do you think caused the cracks?

Todd said:
Upon further review, some of the cracks go all the way through to the other side and there are more cracks than when I first looked. I called Woodstock again and talked to a tech trying to figure whats going. Could be too much draft, might install a pipe damper. They are sending a new cat free of charge. Great service!

I understand that wood stored in Holtz Hausens causes that.

ozarkjeep said:
where did you buy the cat?

what do you think caused the cracks?

The cat is the original that came with the stove one year ago. I'm thinking that since I installed a probe thermometer this year, I was watching the temp on it and engaging in about 5 minutes. Could be that was too soon and was sending some steam from left over moisture in the wood up through the cat. According to Woodstock you should wait after reloading 10-20 minutes to make sure moisture is drivin out of your wood regardless of firebox temps. I was just trying to get the most out of my stove thinking the probe thermometer would help. Live and learn.

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

I understand that wood stored in Holtz Hausens causes that.

OH OH! MO you better check your cat. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.