1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Half-way home? Pile status?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by ISeeDeadBTUs, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sting

Sting Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I got it

Had to click on custom and fill in the start and stop date

yeah maybe its a "cheesy" thing!

but I found joy [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    Welcome to the forum and to the boiler room, Jason. Here in Vermont, we had just over 6000 degree days during the period that I consider to be the heating season. My wood consumption was about 1600 degree days per cord, or about 5/8 cord per 1000 degree days. I use a boiler that's rated for 80,000 BTU per hour and it actually delivers more like 60,000 BTU/hr. My peak heat load is about half that.

At 15,000 degree days with my house, I would need a boiler of about 200,000 BTU/hr and I'd burn about 11 cords of wood. Of course, not all houses are created equal. There are some people around here with half the hat load that I have, and some with twice,
  3. wdc1160

wdc1160 New Member

Loc:
    Lafayette IN -BoilerMakerCountry
    Jason the great thing about heating degree days is it allows you to do awesome on the spot calculations about wood consumption and boiler sizing. But check to see if HDD will be accurate up there. I have never seen a demand for 15k HDD's, but I thought one of the weaknesses of HDD calcuations is if you had extreme cold. I would think 15K HDD may be considered extreme.

They better have awesome hunting and fishing up there for 15k HDD.

GL Bill
  4. Jason_in_AK

Jason_in_AK New Member

Loc:
    Tok Alaska
    Oh, we definitely do! It's apparently been a really mild winter so far... it's stayed around 20 below most of the time, and only gotten down to -45 for a few days.

I'll be back bugging you guys for ideas when I get to the point where I'm actually ready to start designing the detached garage/boiler area.
  5. wdc1160

wdc1160 New Member

Loc:
    Lafayette IN -BoilerMakerCountry
    I haven't seen -45 for a couple of years.
  6. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    Just returned from Jamaica and avoided the -30'sF last week. Found that cooling degree days in Jamaica had increased my wood pile by nearly a cord while gone. If I go back, I can start selling the extra wood to pay for the trip.
  7. atlarge54

atlarge54 New Member

Loc:
    Hoosier
    Wow Brrrrrrr. Do any of the locals use boilers? Danger of freezing would be a little spooky to me. Even a pump failure could be dangerous to linesets etc. Drove to Alaska when the highway was still dirt in the 70's and the name "Tok Junction" rings a bell. Is that where you're from? Have you lived in Alaska long, beautiful country for sure?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.