halfway date?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepie

Dec 2, 2007
elmira, new york
last year i read a post where you guys--had a date where as -it was said if you had 1/2 of your stacked pile left by this date --then you would have enought wood to finish the winter out--i forget what date or holiday it was--but i must say you guys were right on--as i looked at my pile last year when i read it and i did last the season out with a face cord to spare---please let me know the saying---thanks pat

Mine is the third week of January.

Groundhog day

That is actually something I'm trying to work on right now. Also trying to get a good idea of how much wood I'm consuming!

I think what my father has said is that he burns through most of March here in Connecticut. And a few chilly days in April too! So Feb.1st seems to be about right for a half way point in the Northeast.

Probably varies by location right?

Definitely depends on location. I burn from Nov 1 til sometime in April, depending on temps. BUt if we have an early cold set in or a late cold spell will determine when i need to use more wood. I think generically, sometime between Jan1 and Feb1 is going to work for most

Ground hog day. With half of your wood pile left then you will have enough to finish out the winter plus some to start next fall with while the rest is still seasoning.

i'm so screwed.
i got like 1-2 weeks of good stuff left.
then i'm in to the cord i had bought .... real nice oak jsut that its not a full year season. guy i bought it from said "seasoned.. cut last year, split this fall".. ah yea man, thats not seasoned... but i bought to save it....think it reads 27+ on my cool wood geek meter.

(im gonna be so ready next year though..almost cant wait)

Half way through the season and I'm still fiddle-farting around with getting my stove installed. :O/

-SF

I'd like to get to the point where I have 1/2 my wood left in April!

SlyFerret said:
Half way through the season and I'm still fiddle-farting around with getting my stove installed. :O/

-SF

thats ok man, i think unless you start the 'gee i want a stove' process in the spring/summer, (which no one does) its always the 2nd year that you are more prepared and 'learned' as to burning.

next year will be 'your' year. you'll be more then ready, prepared + set to burn
(its sad i'm anticipating next winter...)

Well, if it is half way then I am in fine shape! But I burn whole months of October-April so thats 7 months. So yeah ,I am over 1/2 way now! nice!

Half way in the season is not half way in the woodpile. Oct/Apr is the season (plus a few days here and there) but the real burning is Dec/Mar. I'd agree if you have 1/2 or more on 2/1 you are in good shape.
After changing to the Mansfield, my wood consumption is down by at least 1/3 maybe 1/2. It is amazing to me how much heat for how little wood I am getting. And, the Defiant CAT stove really was pretty efficient.

I hear you there! We have the same burning months. I definatly burn in October, maybe not 27/7 but darn close to it. I would say though that I have around 70% of the wood that I had reserved for this year left!

brogsie said:
Sly'
You still waiting for your permit?
What a bummer.

No, I didn't have any trouble getting the permit. I had to wait 3 weeks for some 30 degree offset elbows to come in at Lowes so that I could continue my project. I should get it done this weekend... I hope. Assuming that the roof isn't still icy/snowy on Sunday from the crap we're supposed to get tonight.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.