Hallway Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairmaker

Feb 29, 2008
New York State
I recently bought an old (1800) house in central Mass. I used to heat my old home and workshop with woodstoves and am looking to do a similar job here. The trouble is that the only central location that makes sense in the house is a 6 foot wide hall that connects the kitchen, breakfast room and living room. I usually close off the doors to to the rest of the house and spend most of my time in this section of the house, it's about 700sq ft. I hope to put a grate in the ceiling to allow warm air into the upstairs as well, so I figure that my heating space is more like 1200-1400sq ft. I was looking at the Jotul f118 because I could install it sideways and the wall clearance will still afford me a 41 inch walkway at it's narrowest. I should mention that the stove would be at an intersection where another hallway tees in, so it's actually a very open area, more like a room between 3 rooms. Any input or other stove models that I should consider would be welcome. Thanks!

I think you may want a convective stove for that application. They are better when clearances are close. The F118 is a radiant stove. You can't move radiant heat like you can warm air. Sounds like a PE Alderlea T5, Quadrafire Cumberland Gap, mid-sized Napoleon or a Jotul Rangeley might do a better job.

Can you post a sketch and/or some photos of the layout? We may be able to make some suggestions for better heat circulation once we can see what the floorplan is.

Here is the layout. The living room has a fireplace, but it obviously isn't a good heat source. I thought about an insert, but I'm concerned about the fan noise and the fact that it wouldn't be central to the first floor. Thanks!

Attachments

• woodstovelocation.jpg
    woodstovelocation.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 484
Great that really helps. I see the dilemma now. That is going to be a challenge. A conventional stove is going to be too deep. I can see why you are looking at the F118. With an NFPA ventilated wall shield there will be just enough room.

Alternatively, let's talk about the fireplace. There may be options there. PE and Jotul insert fans are pretty quiet. Or could you put a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace? Where it is located? Got a picture and dimensions?

I'll draw up the fireplace. I started looking at the Morso 1440, it seems like the size could work and the convection sounds like it reduces the clearances. I suppose my biggest concern would be the length of time that the stove could heat. I used to get good overnight burns with my VC encore. I'll take another look at those inserts, thanks

The 1440 is cute, but tiny. With 10" wood it will be a pain unless you like cutting and splitting small.

I'm sure that you are right about the size etc...I am also looking at the larger ones, they have good clearances as well, but my bride doesn't like the modern look. I think she'd rather be cold with pictures of squirrels around then have the right sized stove!!

There are plenty of good looking stoves that might work in front of (or in) the fireplace. But first we need to know what will fit.

For ideas take a look at Jotul, Enviro (Boston and Venice), Pacific Energy Alderlea, Hampton inserts for starters. For what will actually work we need more information about the fireplace.

Here is the plan for the livingroom with the fireplace. While I do want something more efficient than a fireplace here, I am concerned that we'd be chased out of the room by heat if we tried to use it to heat the rest of the house. The fireplace is all brick, no wood mantle. The ceilings in this part of the house are 7 1/2 feet high. I have been working on my bride about the convection stove in the central area, and might just squeak by without a squirrel.

Attachments

• livingrm.jpg
    livingrm.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 197
Enviro Venice or Boston is what I would start looking at for the living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.