Hamer (Hardwood Heat) vs. Greene Team Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
Let me first start off by saying that I spoke to Hamers Company today and they did confirm that most "Hardwood Heat" pellets are in fact Hamers Hot Ones. Not all are identical but the ones that are delivered to Tractor Supply stores here on the East Coast are them. My main reason for posting is I was hoping for your opinion on which pellet to choose.
I need five tons.

Hamers(Hardwood Heat) 5 tons at 204.50 each does not include delivery.

Greene Team 5 tons at 161.00 each which includes a 10% movers coupon. Add $65.00 for delivery right to my garage.

Hamers $ 1022.50 + Delivery

Greene Team (Lowes) $870.00 which includes delivery.

I found a website that compared stove temps of these pellets and it found that the Hardwood Heats run at about a temperature of 263 degrees while the Greene Teams were about 248 degrees. Does this 15 degree difference make a big difference? Is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks to go with the Hardwood Heats? FYI, my Quadrifire Mt Vernon AE stove runs 24/7 in the winter to try to keep up with my square footage. Thanks in advance.

If the stove is struggling, Then yes the heat matters. If the stove had plenty of room it would be a no brainer all GT's IMHO. I'd try to do a split order and burn the Greene Teams in the shoulders and HH in the cold. You don't need as much heat in the shoulders so that is where you pinch pennies if possible.

Had read all the great opinions about this brand so I tried a few bags of Harwood Heat from TSC last year...clinkers from hell :( Took the remainder of the 2nd bag out of the hopper and gave them to my brother for his Country Flame (?)...threw his stove an error. Ash was quite a bit too. Glad I only bought a couple of bags! You might want to try a few bags first ;)

We burned Hardwood Heat last year, the heat was good but lots and lots of fines, and clinkers galore, needless to say were not burning them again this year!

Obviously now every pellet works the same in every stove so I would try at least two bags of each before I buy. I have run one season with green teams and one season with Hardwood heats. Both worked fine for me and my stove didn't struggle or have issues. To me the hardwood heats burned a little faster and there were days where I went through two full bags while the green teams were a little longer and I think the feed rate was naturally less and the stove didn't mind, still kept me warm.

The hardwoods did have a little more ash at the end of the week measured by volume not weight. With an insert that is important.

Both of those pellets I would not hesitate to run again but if I were you I woudl burn a test sample and see what YOU like.

Based on the prices I would be going with the green teams as I can always get another ton or at that price sub in a ton of oakies or some other very high heat pellet for those cold days.

Drew1024 said:
Let me first start off by saying that I spoke to Hamers Company today and they did confirm that most "Hardwood Heat" pellets are in fact Hamers Hot Ones. Not all are identical but the ones that are delivered to Tractor Supply stores here on the East Coast are them. My main reason for posting is I was hoping for your opinion on which pellet to choose.
I need five tons.

Hamers(Hardwood Heat) 5 tons at 204.50 each does not include delivery.

Greene Team 5 tons at 161.00 each which includes a 10% movers coupon. Add $65.00 for delivery right to my garage.

Hamers $ 1022.50 + Delivery

Greene Team (Lowes) $870.00 which includes delivery.

I found a website that compared stove temps of these pellets and it found that the Hardwood Heats run at about a temperature of 263 degrees while the Greene Teams were about 248 degrees. Does this 15 degree difference make a big difference? Is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks to go with the Hardwood Heats? FYI, my Quadrifire Mt Vernon AE stove runs 24/7 in the winter to try to keep up with my square footage. Thanks in advance.

All hardwood or most hardwood pellets are Hammers? I don't think that is actually true. But thats not the point.

I would do without a doubt the Hammers for 204 a ton........no brainer!

Status
Not open for further replies.