Hamers hot ones - $275 per ton picked up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gitmo234

Dec 1, 2010
Oxford, PA
After a day of internet and phone searching, I found a place nearby to me selling Hamer's Hot Ones year round, for $275 a ton about 30 minutes from me. Prior to this I was burning whatever home depot would sell me.

They told me on the phone that these were the "Bentley" of pellets and that the brands I was burning prior are the "Kia" of pellets. He went as far as to say that "one ton of these will last as long as six tons of home depot pellets". (I hardly believe they're that much better, but anyways).

He said I'd see almost no ash, no black or brown discoloration of the glass and the heat would be a lot better.

My question is, are these as good as this guy is making them out to be? Are they that much better than something I'd buy at home depot, like stove chow or great american?

Thanks

gitmo234 said:
After a day of internet and phone searching, I found a place nearby to me selling Hamer's Hot Ones year round, for $275 a ton about 30 minutes from me. Prior to this I was burning whatever home depot would sell me.

They told me on the phone that these were the "Bentley" of pellets and that the brands I was burning prior are the "Kia" of pellets. He went as far as to say that "one ton of these will last as long as six tons of home depot pellets". (I hardly believe they're that much better, but anyways).

He said I'd see almost no ash, no black or brown discoloration of the glass and the heat would be a lot better.

My question is, are these as good as this guy is making them out to be? Are they that much better than something I'd buy at home depot, like stove chow or great american?

Thanks

6 to 1 ratio? Yeah, right.

Everyone will tell you that pellet brands burn differently depending on the stove and installation but I can tell you that I've been very happy with the Hamers I bought...great heat and not too much ash.
There are 2 plants that make them (Hope and Elkins?) The ton I bought is from Elkins.

Yeah.. I'm relatively new to pellet burning but I'm not foolish enough to believe six to one. A full two to one is a stretch.

I've owned a pellet stove since 2004, and while some pellets are better than others (and yes, Hamers are good) the only significant difference I've found between brands has been hardwood vs. softwood pellets. Softwoods leave a lighter, fluffier ash and are easier to clean in my opinion. For hardwood pellets, they all leave ash and clinkers - some more than others.

Hamers are good but don't believe for a second that a ton of Hamers equals two tons of anything else (let alone 6 tons :)

gitmo234 said:

Thanks

They are a quality pellet , but are they that much better than Great Americans at a $ 1.00+ / bag for me they are not. I have 10 bags of Hammers in my stash from last year buried under my Great Americans. Do you have to buy a ton or can you get 5-10 bags to try? Do your own test to see if they are better in your stove then you 'll know. Good luck, hope this helps.

I've burned several different brands. I am also a huge fan of these pellet (Elkins plt)...and the price you are paying is inline with my recent late December purchase...Now the bad news...They have a lot more smaller pellets in the bag than some other brands and may actually burn faster...They burn very well, put out the heat,but I don't believe they are outlasting the others that I have burned. I agree that you oughta try a small purchase first.

I buy Hamer's because they're the cheapest around here - $240/ton at the John Deere dealer. I really envy all you guys up in the Northeast and Northwest that can get pellets for $190 and $200/ton. That's awesome.

Our local Lowes and HD sells pellets for $6/bag! Crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.