Hamers in AE still clinkering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
Well I have now tried all settings on the AE and I am still getting hard clinkers in the burn pot that will not drop out during the auto clean. I just switched to corn setting high elevation again to see if the lower feed rate works better. I am disappointed in the Hamers as well as my stove for not having more user adjustable air flow and feed rate adjustments. Will be buying Turmans for next year.

I was having the same issue with the Greenways I was burning. I switched to corn setting normal elevation and 0 flame height and I have not had a problem ever since.

I seem to be doing ok for now on the corn setting high elevation.just wish I wouldn't have to have the ignitor on for so long.

Having same issue with barefoots this year and never had a problem with them before. Corn setting works good here too but dont seem to get enough heat out of it because of the lower feed rate to heat the home.

pelletkrzd said:
Having same issue with barefoots this year and never had a problem with them before. Corn setting works good here too but dont seem to get enough heat out of it because of the lower feed rate to heat the home.
try high elevation setting, maybe more air will help produce more heat. Corn setting definatelly feeds less fuel.

I am having the same issue with Hamers with my Harman Accentra insert. I am also getting very dark colored ash, and dark staining on my heat baffles. I am thinking I might try an Outside Air kit, as it seems that I am burning too rich, and not getting enough air to burn on High. My problem only happens on very cold nights when the thermostat cranks it up. Maybe my house is too tight for the inside air combustion fan?

forya said:
I am having the same issue with Hamers with my Harman Accentra insert. I am also getting very dark colored ash, and dark staining on my heat baffles. I am thinking I might try an Outside Air kit, as it seems that I am burning too rich, and not getting enough air to burn on High. My problem only happens on very cold nights when the thermostat cranks it up. Maybe my house is too tight for the inside air combustion fan?
I have outside air and still have the problem.

If you have alot of the pellets that are causing the clinkers left you could mix another brand with them 50/50. I have the same problem with corn and some brands of pellets. I like this stove but it is a design flaw for sure. Too bad they didn't make it so it would cut the clinker in half when it cleans somehow.

tsmith said:
Well I have now tried all settings on the AE and I am still getting hard clinkers in the burn pot that will not drop out during the auto clean. I just switched to corn setting high elevation again to see if the lower feed rate works better. I am disappointed in the Hamers as well as my stove for not having more user adjustable air flow and feed rate adjustments. Will be buying Turmans for next year.

Having exactly the same problem with some Cubex over the last couple of days. Clinker didn't drop out during autoclean.
Interesting that we all seem to be having this problem with some of the "top shelf" brand hardwoods this year.

Gweeper64 said:
tsmith said:

Having exactly the same problem with some Cubex over the last couple of days. Clinker didn't drop out during autoclean.
Interesting that we all seem to be having this problem with some of the "top shelf" brand hardwoods this year.
Yea, you have to wonder what is going on. I tried Turmans a couple weeks ago, I bought a weeks worth and they burned very nice, hot and very clean with no problems at all, I will be using them next year. The best setting I found for the Hamers is on corn high elevation, -5 flame height.

I have a AE Insert and the Hammers have been ok.
The clinkers seem to be small enough to vacum easily out of the ash pan.
I have been running on utility and -5 because I keep getting a max drop tube temp error with any other setting.

tsmith said:
you know i have not heard 1 person say 1 bad thing about the turmans . did you burn them before they are a very underrated pellet i love them .

smilejamaica said:
tsmith said:
Well I have now tried all settings on the AE and I am still getting hard clinkers in the burn pot that will not drop out during the auto clean. I just switched to corn setting high elevation again to see if the lower feed rate works better. I am disappointed in the Hamers as well as my stove for not having more user adjustable air flow and feed rate adjustments. Will be buying Turman for next year.
you know i have not heard 1 person say 1 bad thing about the turmans . did you burn them before they are a very underrated pellet i love them .

Oh' Turman had there share of issues in the beginning, Takes an old timer to remember it though. They had crumbly pellets and they would just fall apart. That's why there in a clear bag. Some bags were just full of saw dust! They got a slight boycott because of it. Learned from there mistakes I'd say because they have been rock solid ever since. Best pellet I burned in my bigE and My Omega eats um like candy! :)

My little quad had issues with the Turman and there gritty dense ash. It would make the pot dump hang up here and there. I would need to remove the plate once a week to scrape it off or loosen the bolt so it would open. Close it and re-tighten the bolt. Trivial seeing it would burn for days with out cleaning anything else.

j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
tsmith said:
Well I have now tried all settings on the AE and I am still getting hard clinkers in the burn pot that will not drop out during the auto clean. I just switched to corn setting high elevation again to see if the lower feed rate works better. I am disappointed in the Hamers as well as my stove for not having more user adjustable air flow and feed rate adjustments. Will be buying Turman for next year.

Oh' Turman had there share of issues in the beginning, Takes an old timer to remember it though. They had crumbly pellets and they would just fall apart. That's why there in a clear bag. Some bags were just full of saw dust! They got a slight boycott because of it. Learned from there mistakes I'd say because they have been rock solid ever since. Best pellet I burned in my bigE and My Omega eats um like candy! :)

My little quad had issues with the Turman and there gritty dense ash. It would make the pot dump hang up here and there. I would need to remove the plate once a week to scrape it off or loosen the bolt so it would open. Close it and re-tighten the bolt. Trivial seeing it would burn for days with out cleaning anything else.
wow i do not remember that about the turmans but im just a young pup lol . my buddy's quad has alot of issues with different pellets especially long pellets jam his auger all the time

I had the same issue with Barefoot in my AE. I changed the setting as suggested (High Elevation, Sunflower Seeds, Flame: -5) and that addressed the clinker issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.