Hamers or turmans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dukefan3916

Oct 13, 2011
pa
Looking to pick up another ton and have a choice between hamers or turmans. Both are at about 240 a ton. What do you guys think.

both good, but given my choice, for $240, I'd go Turmans

I'm burning Hamers right now...good heat, low ash, BUT a lot of fines. Hence, I have resorted to a shop-vac powered sifter which works great. I have never burned Turmans before. Not sure I could find them if I wanted to here in northeast PA.

PA_Clinker said:
I'm burning Hamers right now...good heat, low ash, BUT a lot of fines. Hence, I have resorted to a shop-vac powered sifter which works great. I have never burned Turmans before. Not sure I could find them if I wanted to here in northeast PA.

Where in PA are you? Cozy Barn in Wind Gap carries Turmans.......

I'm way up here in Wayne County, a stones throw from Lake Wallenpaupack. Got my current Hamers stash from Outside Matters in Beach Lake.

240.00 is a good price for either of those brands. why not split the order with a ton of each.

Turmans aren't the hottest or cleanest. But they definitely hold a steady consistency! Hamer's will carry a bit more heat. They do have more ash though and there have been many that complained on clinkers from them. So I'll lean on the Turmans side of the fence. Excellent pellet!

j-takeman said:
Turmans aren't the hottest or cleanest. But they definitely hold a steady consistency! Hamer's will carry a bit more heat. They do have more ash though and there have been many that complained on clinkers from them. So I'll lean on the Turmans side of the fence. Excellent pellet!
i bet there are not to many brands cleaner than the turmans

smilejamaica said:
j-takeman said:
i bet there are not to many brands cleaner than the turmans

No not many at all, And only slightly at that. Cubex on a good run. And then you'd need to go into the softies. Spruce Pointes, Okanagan and Vermonts to name a few. Most wouldn't even notice the difference. Same with the heat. Very minimal that can hardly be noticed. Specially if you use the hand/cheek method of measuring! ;-)

I like both of those kinds. They both burn good for me. I usually burned Turman early in the season because they are to me, just not quite as hot as the Hamer's are, but both are excellet pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.