Hamer's performing as expected / hoped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur Feral

Minister of Fire
Aug 24, 2014
Eastern Pennsylvania
I was just in an - ahem - "other" online place replying to something and it reminded me that I have not posted an update on my use of Hamer's Hot Ones since they changed their labeling to say Premium instead of Ultra Premium, and relabeled to say less than 1% ash vs 0.5%. Some of you may recall that they and possibly some others did this over the past year in response to some labeling standard issues, while claiming that their pellets had not in any way changed.

I had been mad as a wet hen when my dealer delivered 6 tons of these newly labeled pellets, thinking I had received the wrong product. They put me in touch with Hamers, who explained the situation. I agreed to "burn 'em and see".

Well, I am very happy to report that, after about three months of burning and finally some cold weather, I see NO difference in these newly labeled pellets vs. the old. Now, I have not pulled out the heat gun to test, but that's a suspect methodology anyway. What I do see is what appears to be the same heat output as in years past (when burning Hamer's) based on outside vs inside temps, and sooo much less ash compared to "box store" brands (always a hallmark of Hamer's for me, and frankly the big reason I use them).

So, I am happy camper. Just thought I had a responsibility to report back. As always, your mileage may vary and it's up to you to manage that.

I would love to try them but the closest dealer is 200 miles away.. seems none of the "good stuff" makes this far north

Reactions: Old Spartan
They're not easy to get here, either. Two dealers close enough to pick up, and only one delivers. Neither cheap, but I do like those pellets.

I would love to try them but the closest dealer is 200 miles away.. seems none of the "good stuff" makes this far north

Lowes Clean Fire are rebagged hammers and I have burned both. they are the same.

Lowes in my area of NY == Lake George region has them late summer into fall. I have not checked their pellets recently so do not know if they still have them.

Give them a look although contrary to common sense they raised the price to 5.98 (299 a ton) in the fall.

Lowes Clean Fire are rebagged hammers and I have burned both. they are the same.

Lowes in my area of NY == Lake George region has them late summer into fall. I have not checked their pellets recently so do not know if they still have them.

Give them a look although contrary to common sense they raised the price to 5.98 (299 a ton) in the fall.

I dont remember ever seeing any Clean Fire at lowes up here.
Just,
green supreme.
Easy heat?
Timber heat?
Appalachian pellets.
One more but i cant remember the name.

will have 2 tons of the clean energy's delivered tomorrow (1/12/16) from Lowes..5.18 a bag and 19 dollars delivery fee.. still sitting on 120 bags of green teams as I am burning the remainer of a ton of newps (not a great pellet, same as green supreme) and about 20 bags of last years Timber Heats ( pretty decent except all the long pellets) As I "know someone" at my local Lowes I got the 19 bux delivery fee waived and used my 10% military discount.. $466 to my door for the 2 tons... 233.10 a ton

I am a veteran user of hamer's and find them second to none with only softwood pellets performing as well. Never even noticed the bag change till reading this post. Two things I would share; if you cannot find a dealer try their website and they will try to get you someone close. Second I would say clean energy at Lowe's is your best value as they are rebagged hamer's.

Just lucked out and found someone selling a ton of Hamer's for $200. He said oil is cheap and wanted to get rid of them and give someone a good deal. They're in the barn and ready to go.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Just lucked out and found someone selling a ton of Hamer's for $200. He said oil is cheap and wanted to get rid of them and give someone a good deal. They're in the barn and ready to go.
Wow! A great deal! Congrats!

Just started into ton #3 of 5 ton of Hamer's Hot Ones. They are amazing! Was 2 degrees this morning and 68 in the house. Wish I had these last year. Picked these up 6 miles from home. They said they will be out of Hamer's though. I picked up their next to last ton last week, $268. Have Lignetics also, but they are not Hamers!

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Yep, they've been my go-to pellet for years. I formerly would buy cheaper pellets for shoulder seasons and burn Hamer's in coldest weather, but this year bit the bullet and bought 6 tons. Soooo much cleaner and very hot. I clean the stove less often, and appreciate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.