Hammer's vs. Lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamztoyz

Oct 27, 2008
Western New York
Hi,

This is my third year with a pellet stove insert. The first year I bought about 12 different pellet types and found that some hardwood pellets would jam in the auger. Then I cam across Lignetics with the green label and like them. Last year I bought 5 ton of them. This year I found one ton of Lignetics and then the TSC kind which I don't like but did find Hammer Hot Ones from the guy I bought from last year. My question is how are they? I found that the Lignetics broke up easily but did leave ash more than average, but I could deal with that. If you try to break the Hammer's will they break easily or do you have to put more force on them. It sounds dumb, but I don't want to deal with auger jams in the middle of winter like the first year with the harwoods I had from Agway. Any help would be great. I wished TSC had them as they are $204 a ton when they have them, but Hammers are $225 ton.

hammers are mostly smaller 'sticks'. You shouldn't have length issues with them.

I burned a ton of lignetics 2 seasons ago and they were pretty good. the hammers throw way more heat. ash is about the same.
225 is a good price. my dealer has 'em for 235 currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.