Hampton 300 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainely Saws

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2010
Topsham , Me.
Good morning everyone , -2 in southern Maine this Am . I've had a Hampton 300 free standing stove for a little over a year now & was wondering if I should be getting longer burn times . The manufacturer says it's a large stove but it only has a 1.7 cubic foot firebox . I have clean , dry firewood but I'm hesitant to close off the air input to much . I have a stack thermometer that runs about 400 to 450 degree's when I reduce the air inlet after the fire is established . I will get about 3 hours of burn time before I need to add more wood . Is this typical for this stove ? Thanks for any help ........

1.7 cu ft is fairly small. Judge the amount of air that you let in by the burn that you're getting. If there's not smoke out the chimney or blackening glass, and you have secondary fire action- close it down more. You'll get a lower fire, but for longer.

I can get 8 hours of burn time in my Jotul before I reload. Burn time for me isn't full flame, but useful heat before I won't have enough coals left to get a fire going again. Closing the primary air down with dry wood and full firebox in a fully warmed up stove with good coal bed was the only way I could get 8 hrs from it.

I have the even smaller hampton stove (h200). With a good bed of coals, and after the fire has ignited most of the new load, the air can almost completely be shut down. I pull the damper lever almost completely forward. With a full load, dampering, I find 5-6 is the max with being able to start a fire again. The stoves are very heavy (425lbs. for my smaller version), with a lot of cast iron, so they do conitnue to put off some heat after the wood reduces to coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.