Hampton H3100 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Feb 18, 2007
I have a new Hampton H3100 and I have a couple questions.

1) The installer sat it up on firebricks because my fireplace opening was too large for the shroud. I noticed that the insert in not completely level, which has caused a gap at the top of the shroud between the fireplace and the shroud. The installer said they would come back and put some high temp black cauk on it. This does not sound right to me. Is there supposed to be cauk around it? I would think it they fixed it so that it was level then cauk would not be necessary? Thoughts?
2) Someone told me that Hampton is coming out with a larger shroud. Does anyone know anything about that?
3) Does anyone have pic's of this stove installed in a fireplace opening that is larger then the shroud, and what solutions have you found work well?

Thanks - this forum has been a huge help to a new stove owner like me

Did the installer put a air tight block off plate in the damper area of your old fire place? How is it vented to your old chimney? What is the old chimney made of, flue size, how tall is it and where is the chimney located, In or Outside the home? Did they reline your chimney, if so with what?

DriftWood said:
Did the installer put a air tight block off plate in the damper area of your old fire place? How is it vented to your old chimney? What is the old chimney made of, flue size, how tall is it and where is the chimney located, In or Outside the home? Did they reline your chimney, if so with what?

I am not sure exactley what they did, but they said that they installed a stainless steel liner in the chimney. Old chimney is brick. It seems to be drafting well, I have not had any issues with starting a fire or with a smoke smell in the house.

sparrowhawk said:
2) Someone told me that Hampton is coming out with a larger shroud. Does anyone know anything about that?

2) If you can't get an answer from your dealertry http://www.regency-fire.com/Contact/, or perhaps below:
FPI Fireplace Products International Ltd
Address : 6988 Venture St, Ladner,
Telephone : 604-946-5155
Category : Fireplace Equipment Whol & Mfrs

3) Does anyone have pic's of this stove installed in a fireplace opening that is larger then the shroud, and what solutions have you found work well?
Sorry, wasn't an issue with mine . .

Good luck, as far as the caulk question one of the pros should be weighin' in eventually . . having a pic posted of the gap you are mentioning would help

I passed on the Hampton because of a small gap that would have been created from a larger fireplace opening. My installer also talked about adding black metal to make the gap smaller. It just sounded too rigged for me. I ended up going with the Regency....same firebox as the Hampton, but steel front.

Is your surround supported by the blocks or is just the firebox supported? I would be concerned if the cast panels aren't supported as that is a lot of weight. I think I know of the gap you are referring to. The one I saw on display looked like the pieces just didn't fit together properly. I hope Hampton does come out with a larger surround, because a lot of us passed on it for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.