Hampton HI-300 door gasket replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jophysx

Burning Hunk
Apr 12, 2011
SW Michigan
I am going on my 5th year with my HI-300. I am wondering if it's getting time to replace the door gasket. In my 3rd season I did the dollar bill test and found a poor seal near the hinge side (IIRC). I removed a washer from the latch assembly as shown in the manual and that fixed things up ok. But at the beginning of this year I checked again and the seal wasn't really tight so I adjusted the door latch again. This time the results weren't as positive. And it seems the latch mechanism is tougher to get adjusted properly (i.e. engaging the detent/cam in the latch mechanism).

As I am writing this it sure seems like the evidence is clearly pointing toward "it's time to replace the gasket". Have any of you other HI-300 owners replaced the door gasket? If so, how many seasons did you get out of the original?

Thanks,

-Jim

Your door gasket needs to be flexible to seal correctly.
If any sections of it are hardened, replace it.
5 years is a long time for a gasket.
You got your money's worth...

I would also opine that it's not a good sign if it's got a gap on the hinge (vs latch) side.

My gasket isn't hardened anywhere, just flattened and compressed. But I think it's time to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.