Hampton HI300 Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hdavison3

Apr 29, 2007
Morrisonville, NY
Hi folks,
I'm new to this site and considering buying a Hampton HI300 which is the best-looking insert that I have seen having browsed through dozens of web-sites. It appears to get very high ratings from those of you that have purchased.
That being said, I want to make sure it is a good fit for our house in Upstate (almost Canada) NY.
We have a 2,200 sq. ft. two-story center hall colonial home that we had built about 15 years ago. The original floorplan did not call for a fireplace but we had one put in ( masonry hearth and chimney) We use it extensively and I am looking to purchase insert for efficiency ( supplement to oil hot water heat) and to eliminate (or reduce) smoke residue on walls and ceilings.
To get started, here are a couple of questions.
1) Our floor plan is cut-up. The fireplace is located on an outside wall in the family room. Again, this is a center hall colonial with the Kitchen located opposite the family room, and the dining room and parlor located down the hallway in the front of the house. Three bedrooms are located upstairs.
The family room does have a ceiling fan that can be used to push the air down or up. Should this and/or using the two -speed blower fan on the Hampton provide adequate airflow through the house- or will we " burn our faces and freeze our backsides....?"
2) There are a number of dealers in our area- what is a reasonable discount to shoot ?
I am sure I will have more questions in this process- thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome xcitable. It sounds like you are already in the process and have discovered that the location for the fireplace is less than ideal, but it's what you've got. Fans will help, but the family room will likely stay much warmer than the other rooms. A small fan in the corner of the entrance of the room, blowing "into" the room, will also help.

By all means, budget for an insulated liner in the exterior chimney. Poor draft may be to blame for the sooting previously noted. While it's nice to get a good discount, and at this time of year, you may see up to 25% if the dealer is clearing out inventory, but it's more important to choose a dealerthat does a first-rate installation - by the book. Don't end up going for the cheapest installer, that is trying to cut corners at every turn. You'll likely end up regretting it.

Also, what is the size of the fireplace opening? What is the family room size and ceiling height? Did you look at the Jotul Kennebec (C450) as an alternative?

Thanks for the advice BEGREEN.

My family room is an odd size but is approxamately 16' x 18' with an 8' ceiling. the entrance to the family room is very wide ( about 7' wide diagnal) and off the center hall. On the other wall of the hall is the entrance to the Kitchen. It's probably best if I post a copy of the floor plan - I will scan one tomorrow.
What I can tell you is that using it as a conventional fireplace, I installed an inexpensive glass door on the front. In order to avoid shattering the glass. I would start a roaring fire and leave the glass doors open with the fire screen closed. The family room would get very toasty-but seldom uncomfortable and the heat would rise upstairs and warm the bedrooms. Because the living spaces I am most interested in using the supplementary heat for are the family room and bedrooms, It seems to work out quite well- other than the smoke. I guess I am concerned that because the insert is so much more efficient that the room could get too warm- anyway, I could use all the unbiased advice I can get.

I have talked to two dealers up here and neither one of them do their own installs, although one has an independent contractor that they recommend and work with on a regular basis. So, as far as purchasing the insert itself, I view it as a commodity purchase; all available sources are authorized dealers backed by what appears to be a reputable manufacturer. Of course I will try to buy from the dealerthat is the most knowledgable and helpful. The dealerships over here are relatively small so I don't think they have the Timberline Brown Porcelain enamal insert with the surrounds in their current inventory anyway. There are three other dealerships across the lake in Vermont that I still need to check out.
I do agree that the quality of installation will dictate the long term performance and satisfaction with the insert so I have some homework to do there.

I will check out the other models you suggested.
Once again, thank you.

I have inspected quite a few Regency / Hampton 300I inserts. They are a quality stove and all homeowners I have delt with are pleased.
Before you place down you money be sure to make another post as to how the best way to install your Hampton You do not want to be in the shoes of the guy that had his hamptoon installed and posted his guestions last week back or so It not the quality of the stove but one of the poorest installations ever posted here. I will go back and s edit this post and supply a link to that post

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/7470/

Further to Elks post. Use our advice here to determine what YOU think are the things that need to be done to achieve a proper installation. Then you will be able to tell the installation contractor what you want done and why. No doubt they will have their own ideas but it is always best to be able to tell a contractor what you want done and then any variances are from your expectations, not theirs.

Everybody that has the HI300 seems to love them. I don't think you can go wrong with one of them. And with me and Mrs. BB's penchant for brown stuff in the house I think that stove will be gorgeous to look at as well as a great heater.

As to running you out with heat, you learn to burn to the heating requirements. Presently you are getting nice heat with roaring fires. Ya ain't gonna need to make that HI300 roar. You will get the same or better heat with much less wood. And no smoke in da joint.

Thanks for the sound advice, Elkimmeg and Brother Bart, I will keep you guys posted with my progress. A couple years ago when I had to have a liner installed after the original clay one cracked I had an "experience" soliciting estimates from different installers and I agree, It is important to specify not only what you want done but how you want it done.
This looks like a great site; will be in touch.
BTW, BrotherBart- While in the service I spent two years at Quantico- (thirty years ago) nice area!

I have the HI300. I cut wood consumption by 1/3 from the previous 1980s insert. Plenty of heat and much nicer to look at. This is one of my favorite purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.