Hampton hi300, first week of use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
It has been nasty here in the North East, so I started burning a little this week, after last weekends install.

Did three smaller fires for about 3 hours a night the first 3 nights. Last night I built a medium fire, never fully opening up the damper but ran it for 6 hours. Got up this morning and pulled the coals forward to burn a couple of left over sticks from last nights log pile pull. On a quality satisfaction scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 9. On a performace scale, I would give it a 8 or 9. I will come back to that one when we get some real cold temperatures and open her up. I am amazed at the amount of heat you get from such a small amount of wood. The blower is very quiet on low, and sounds like a computer fan on high. Low seems to do the house fine. In order to get the most amount of heat from this stove, it does take almost an hour to hit that"critical mass" point where the surrounding masonry has heated up and the unit starts throwing real heat.

I will try and do a full write up later and after a few real cold nights. I would definitely buy this stove again.

You bought a great insert. Keep us posted and enjoy it. I'd be curious how long you can stretch the burn time on that stove. My customer report 8-9 hours. I'd just like to compare notes

From what I have seen 8 or 9 hour "burn" times should be easy. By burn time I mean, pulling some coals forward and using some small splits to get it going again. I will update when I go for an all night burn.

I can load my HI300 around 8:00PM (full load) and have a coal bed ready to add another full load at 6:00AM. This is with Oak and Black Birch with the air turned down to 1/2 inch. Granted the stove is not thowing heat at 6:00AM, but the stove is warm, the liner is warm and the room is warm. What more could you ask for? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.