Hampton HI300 install with lots of pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stejus,

I had replied eariler on your final photo and again I want to say great setup.

I have one question on choice of the HI300. Did you consider the HI200. I have a 1600 sq cape and am not sure which one to get.

Your thoughts would be helpful.

Go big or go home :) You can always build a smaller fire in a bigger firebox, if you try to do it the other way arround there will be issues ;-)

ssweb said:
Stejus,

I had replied eariler on your final photo and again I want to say great setup.

I have one question on choice of the HI300. Did you consider the HI200. I have a 1600 sq cape and am not sure which one to get.

Your thoughts would be helpful.

I did look at the HI200 at the stove shop and was shocked how little the firebox was. It's a great looking stove, but forget about overnight burns or large splits in this little box.

If you can fit the HI300 into your firebox, do it. You'll need the extra heat output during the coldest part of winter.

Another benefit is you can get 8 to 10 hour burns with OAK and other hard woods in the HI300. I don't think thats possible with the HI200. Less work with the HI300 in terms of loading as well. Another benefit is the cast surround gets extremely hot so it throws radiant heat where the HI200 would throw a lot less.

Good luck decided and keep us posted.

Steve

Beautiful! I love my H200, and that thing is just gorgeous. Some day, I am going to replace my old Buck insert with the Hampton insert.

I always wondered about your avatar and what on earth it actually was, I thought you had photoshoped the photo. Now I know better

Thanks for the pictures. That's a nice setup

Ray

So did your block off plate hold the insulation up? I'm lost on why the two bricks were removed.

CodyWayne718 said:
So did your block off plate hold the insulation up? I'm lost on why the two bricks were removed.

The two bricks were removed on the outside so the installer could stuff some Roxul around the liner and first clay tile above the smoke shelf. The installer did it this way because the stove was in place and he didn't want to remove it. This was done to create a stop for the poured in insulation.

The block off, in my case, is just Roxul stuffed into the smokeshelf and the damper where the liner passes through and it. I did this myself from the inside by cutting up Roxul and stuffing as much as I could into the cavity.

FYI, the insulation will harden and stay in place once it dries. The only reason he formed the stop is so the mix didn't fill in the smoke shelf.

Oh I gotcha now. Also, I didn't know the pour in stuff hardened. Thanks :)

stejus said:
some more... The installers were going to use a dolly but just dragged it across the floor with a thick blanket. The only challenge was getting it through the garage door into the house. There are two steps and that took about 1/2 hour with two guys to manage to get the stove through.

hey look out that guy is stealing your liner

I know I am late to the party

Reactions: ScotO
That is very nice Stejus. Very nice. A great upgrade to your home. Comfort and reliability. Do you have some sort of back-up so that if power goes out you can still run the fan on the insert? Small generator, battery bank of some sort?

That is very nice Stejus. Very nice. A great upgrade to your home. Comfort and reliability. Do you have some sort of back-up so that if power goes out you can still run the fan on the insert? Small generator, battery bank of some sort?
No back up yet. When it gets real cold (10 or less degrees), I pull the front (top peice) off to let more heat come out of the firebox area. This works because I have the blockoff too.

Reactions: Gasifier
Status
Not open for further replies.