Hampton HI300 Temps...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
Hey Guys,

I have the thermometer on the top shelf of the hampton. I am actually measuring the air temp and not the firebox. When I get it rip roaring I get up to 325 on the temp gauge. My ir shot in the firebox shows 700-800. I was thinking I was getting 375 to 400 last year. What are you getting for temps with the unit? I did just replace the door gasket after 4 or 5 years so it is more controlled. That in and of it self may be the difference...

Burntime, I also want to note.. the above mentioned reading where taken with the fan running on High!

After I get up to comfort level in house it will stay 85% of the time between 320-425. At 300 I open up air full and burn down coals.

So yours is under the top shelf and on the firebox?

burntime said:
So yours is under the top shelf and on the firebox?

Yes I slipped it thru the exiting air vent left side. It's mounted so the 300-650* area faces foward. I use a small flash-lite to check readings.

You mentioned full load and ripping fire. That will get it to 600-650*. Also note that is with the fan on high, so I don't know how much that cools it?

Thanks. Yep I know with the fan on low I get longer burn times and hotter fires as well...

I had the hi300 installed this week but I don't have a thermometer yet.

Attachments

• hi300.jpg
    hi300.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 556
sbattert said:
I had the hi300 installed this week but I don't have a thermometer yet.

sbattert
Welcome to Hearth Com!

I have found that the MORE intelligent members here have the Hamptons. But we keep that to ourselves!

Burn Safe!!

I have my thermometer under the shelf on top of the firebox. With a good fire going with a semi full box I get temps between 550-600.

I actually have 2 that are within 35 degrees of each other depending on the temp... I will sneak one under there when it cools...

Ok, the one on top was the low reading one and hit 325. The one on the firebox is the high reading one and it read about 635. The firebox thru the glass read 800. Now I have an idea.

About half or a little more and fan on high. I insulated my liner and a block off plate so I can close my air control all the way down. Chimney is 15 or so foot... Now the box is at 300 and the air temp about 180... The fan is still on high.

burntime said:
About half or a little more and fan on high. I insulated my liner and a block off plate so I can close my air control all the way down. Chimney is 15 or so foot... Now the boy is at 300 and the air temp about 180... The fan is still on high.

You hit on something the dealer could not or would not answer. According to the owners manual you can only completly close your air supply if your fan is off. It states if fan is on you must leave air supply open 1/2". I have a 33' SS liner in an interior masonary fireplace/chimney so I have plenty of draft. Always wondered why I couldn't shut air supply. Was afraid to close it 100% with fan on becuase didn't know what to expect? I thought my glass doors would implode? Logs might get sucked out the liner and thrown into space!!!!
Too Much Coffee!!!!

What are your thoughts?

With that long of a chimney you should be able to choke it all the way down. Try it for 2 weeks then check the liner. Mine was clean so I continue to do it...

burntime said:
With that long of a chimney you should be able to choke it all the way down. Try it for 2 weeks then check the liner. Mine was clean so I continue to do it...

I can/have done it and the fire cruised perfectly and the burns lasted longer. But since the manual said leave it open 1/2" I leave it open not knowing if I would DAMAGE the Insert!!

My guess is a overfire condition or gunk the chimney is what is to be worried about. I bet the epa needed more air to get the knod and thats the 1/2 rule. That or with such a vast variety of installs there is the fudge factor??? I dunno, in my situation I have been doing it for 4 or 5 or so years. I got my new insert right about the time I joined Hearth.com so if there is a way to look it up that is my timeline. I seem to remember August or September of 2006

Just realized, its in the avatar... 8-18-2006. Yes, this stove has long paid for itself!

Monkey Wrench said:
burntime said:

I can/have done it and the fire cruised perfectly and the burns lasted longer. But since the manual said leave it open 1/2" I leave it open not knowing if I would DAMAGE the Insert!!

My guess on why the manual states "no blower" when the air is shut completely is due to cooling off the stove too much and smoldering the wood. Passing air over a stove that is just maintaining enough temp to sustain a long burn will cool it down.

Now, if you have a good draft even when fully closed, there's enough air to keep a good burn. If you don't, you will see your glass turn brown overnight.

I had the firebox at 675 and the top at 325. It was only 28 outside and the freekin house hit 80 with the furnace fan and all the ceiling fans on. Yep, it cranks heat! At least on the high end of the reading you double the shelf temp. Lower it is not quite half...

Hey Bt and Mw where the hell do you live.It would put a better perspective on what I and others are trying to deal with.

I am in Wisconsin, in a suburb of Milwaukee. By the way, thats algonquin for "The good land :lol: " Sorry, line from waynes world...Alice Cooper's line...

Hi all I'm new to the forum and I just had my HI300 installed a few weeks ago.

I put a Rutland thermometer under the top shelf on top of the firebox. I'll run the insert up to about 550 (with the fan on high) and then slowy close the damper to just about the 1/2" from fully closed setting. I've done this with both full loads of wood and biobricks. The stove puts out great heat but I'm only getting max 4 hour burn times even with the bio bricks. Any ideas how to extend this?

I had the unit professionally installed. I don't think I have an insulated liner, but my liner is placed in a roughly 30 ft masonry chimney.

Also, how do you run your Hamptons? Do you run them on with the fan on high or low? What give the most heat output and longest burns? Is it better to run on high to crank out the heat but to run it on low when you leave the house or go to bed to extend the burn?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Fan on high and choked all theway down...

Status
Not open for further replies.