Hampton Insert 300 Hearth Depth question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nlittle

Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2009
Southern NH
Hi everyone!
First thanks for everything I have read so far. I just bought this insert and will have it installed in about a month. :)

I am having a masonary/ tile guy extend the floor hearth about 12 inches. It will be a little farther than required (30" deep). He will tear up the carpet, use hardy board level to the brick and then cover the hardy board and brick with some kind of stone tile. I think I am good there, since from what it read it is mostly for spark protection.

With my existing fireplaces I am "just" making all my side and top clearances according to the manual. The one concern I have is the depth or thickness of the mantel face. The manual calls for 1.5 inches max. I think I am more like 2 ". I have been freaking about a little about this and just want your take from experience. You can see from the picture the mantel "legs" are thicker than the direct boarder and I have this "divider" halfway up to the mantel shelf.

Should I be concerned that this is a little thicker than requested? If so, should tear out the detail or maybe paint with some kind of fire retardant paint?

This is my only worry and am looking forward to nice warm fires this winter!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 191
Great stove selection. I'm posting a spec from the HI300 manual to help others look at your situation. Do you have letter "C" covered? You need 12" from the stove shelf to top facing. I can't tell from the height of your fireplace opening. The stove shelf measures 21.5" from the floor. This means your top facing has to be at least 33.5" from the hearth floor.

I think the divider on the facing may be an issue if it sticks out further than 1.5” from the fireplace face. Others should have some insight on this issue.

Don’t sweat it; you’ll be OK with minor adjustments, if any.

Oh, one last thing if you want heat this season. Wood, dry and seasoned is required so be prepared. If you don’t have any, expect to pay premium for seasoned and it will not be seasoned as long as it should. This is a rookie mistake made by the majority of rookie wood burners, including me. ;-)

Attachments

• Hampton HI300 spec.JPG
    Hampton HI300 spec.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 161
Though the chances are slim that you'll ever have a problem, you may want to ask him to use wonderboard or duraboard. Hardibacker has a filler (styrofoam?) that is not considered non-combustible. The price is the same, so you may as well.

I've just laid my hearth with concrete board under the slate tile....

Like it or not, if you don't meet the specified clearances, you're either gonna
hafta modify the mantel to meet spec, or attach some heat shields to the under side
of the breast plate & the inner sides of the legs...
I gotta admit, heat shields are pretty fugly, but safety comes first...
If you don't, & the mantel combusts, no way is your insurance company gonna pay off...
The company I work for won't even install it unless ALL specs are met.

Thanks for all the replies!

Stejus-
I have 34 inches from floor to face, which leaves room for the new hearth tile...no more than .5" though.
There is also a 1/2" piece of inside trim I can easily remove if need be.

Carbon Neutral-
I will ask for wonderboard or duraboard under the extension, thanks for the tip!

Daksy -
Your right...I know you are. I am already a little paranoid as I have not had a stove where I lived for almost 20 years so it feels new. Better safe than sorry!

I measured the clearances again and for the side legs I am at 1-7/8", once they tile (assuming gaining 1/4", it will bring me to 1-5/8" - SO CLOSE! For the round trim pieces, I am at 2-5/8" with the new facing that is 2-3/8". Not OK I guess.

Suppose this means I will pull all the "trim" off and leave a plainer looking mantel, or remove the mantel all together and do the tile all around...not sure I will like that look.

Need to figure it out soon!
Choosing tile or stone tomorrow. :)

nlittle said:
Suppose this means I will pull all the "trim" off and leave a plainer looking mantel, or remove the mantel all together and do the tile all around...not sure I will like that look.

:)

Why not go with brick all the way around and just tile the floor. You could go with a new stone mantle while they are adding the brick as well. I'm not sure how tile would look or fit in with the brick face.

Hmm that is a thought.. Would adding another layer of brick in the front of the existing wall bring the insert too far from the chimney? Maybe a nice stone instead...
These are not decisions I thought I would have to make.... but hey it will be great when done! I am looking at photos for inspiration here too.

nlittle said:
Would adding another layer of brick in the front of the existing wall bring the insert too far from the chimney?

Yes, it will bring it out too far for the liner to connect to the stove. What I was suggesting is remove the wood facing and legs and replace with brick. It should line up with the existing brick.

Oh I got ya now! Almost like installing brick mantel legs etc... I will kick that around with the other half. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.