hand splitting hedge... or... it's gonna be a LONG summer!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Donnie Brasco

Feeling the Heat
May 29, 2012
East Central Kansas
my "plan" is to CSS several cords of hedge this summer. After finding this Youtube video, I'd better eat my Wheaties!!!

Reactions: zap
vid not working for me ;hm

I've never had a piece of hedge that difficult to split. But then I've not had one that big to split. Most of what I have been getting is in the 8" to 10" range. I guess size does matter.()

Beg, steal or borrow(actually rent is a good option) a splitter. A day or two with the splitter will be a life saver and you will never regret the few clams shelled out when you are sitting in a warm house.

Or - eat your wheaties :)

Don't dispair (yet). No 2 trees are the same. A lot depends on how & where the tree grew. You can run in to an Ash that is a real pain to split or Hedge that is fairly easy. There are even some Elm out there that split well. A couple years back I did 2-3 cord of (Red) Elm with a 28" Fiskars. Not because I'm especially strong or talented, it split not too bad at all.
15 minutes in you'll know how your summer is going to go.

Looks like a dry & crocked grained round.
I bet the fresh stuff yo get will fly apart.
Pieces that tough to split should be rare with most fresh cut wood.

Don't cry before you are hurt ;)

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Looks like a dry & crocked grained round.
I bet the fresh stuff yo get will fly apart.
Pieces that tough to split should be rare with most fresh cut wood.

Don't cry before you are hurt ;)

Thanks Dave for snapping me back to reality... I won't give up OR cry just yet :)

I guess I could always "NOODLE" it to get it started if it's too stubborn! :)

I guess I could always "NOODLE" it to get it started if it's too stubborn! :)

That 036 likes to eat noodles.:cool:

But - that hedge is gonna be tough going trying to noodle it. It is just darn hard stuff.

I still haven't split and stacked any of it that I've scored so far (maybe half a cord.) I did split one to take a pic...wasn't easy, and it was pretty straight-grained. When I get around to processing it, I'll try some by hand, but I have a feeling it won't be long before the power splitter is rolled to the stack of rounds. >>

Reactions: Big Donnie Brasco
Honestly I've had sparks fly when noodling hedge and mulberry also.
Great firewood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.