Hand truck mod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironspider

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2013
Flanders, NY
My brother just gave me an awesome rwm casters hand truck. Pneumatic wheels extended frame, the works. However , it's built for hauling boxes not round items. What would you suggest I attach to the frame in order to hold log rounds in without rolling off the side?

The parts list has a curved frame but it doesn't fit with the stair things and I don't want to lose them as this could be an all around tool not just for wood. Ideas?
uzyba7er.jpg

It is, but I just put 2 large rounds on it and it was easy to move which is great, but a lot of wood I get is in backyards that are uneven and they will roll off the frame.

Could use my tire down straps or bungees but I'm looking for something like a curved aluminum part that I can mount. Just to create an edge sort of

Easy peasy. Hunk of flat plate - bend corners (or rounds) on the end and put a couple of hooks like the old fashioned drive up diners used for the window trays. Hang them over the bottom rung of the frame (or second rung, or whatever height you need it). Two second swap out when you do/don't want it.

I really like this idea. Using this in combination with Jags easy peasy description, one could make a quick detachable fire wood hauler / hand truck. Drill two holes in the bottom plate for the firewood hauling frame to lock into, then have the top of the firewood hauling frame snap (by bending the frame) under an existing cross rail on the hand truck. ----Or I could just eat a BLT sandwich rather than go out to eat and use the savings to buy one. -----I'll have to ponder on that.

That one would be easier to load, and probably unload, that the one with the tubes over the top. Maybe not as rigid, but does it really have to be?

those are much better ideas than what i had last winter. when i couldn't use the barrow cuz of mud or too deep snow, i was using those cheapo plastic storage tubs and carrying them...no wonder my elbows started hurting....and they like to crack and break in below freezing temps....i do have a hand truck,but it is a heavy sucker, made for moving appliances i think...has straps, i think i'ma give that a try....reminds me of what my crazy old neighbor did to his neighbor....he cut a square out of the back of the house, and made a latch door that swung open, to throw firewood right from the outside pile right into the house...the landlord wasn't exactly thrilled when he saw that!

Status
Not open for further replies.