Hands-free Homelite Electric Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted these elsewhere, but thought I'd give them their own thread.

I modified my Homelite 4 ton electric splitter with foot pedals to allow me to work standing up and control the log with both hands. My back appreciates it. I frequently split the log, then roll it keeping both halves together and split again. Avoids dropping the splits on the ground (or my foot) and picking them up again. I know that the 2 handed controls are intended to protect me from my own stupidity/carelessness, but the danger posed to my back by those controls is much more significant.

I tried more sophisticated designs, but these work better and swing out of the way when I move the splitter. I had to remove the electrical control box to attach the tee hinge with self-tapping screws.

Now that right there is what I call "Farmer Engineering". Its a little more midwest way of saying "Git-R-Done". %-P

I like your idea. I have mine sitting on a 4 wheeled garden cart to save me from bending over too far, but I would love to find a way to free up a hand to hold the logs on the splitter.

What no duct tape ! :lol: Thats pretty cool in its simplicity good job.

Pete

MrWhoopee said:
I modified my Homelite I know that the 2 handed controls are intended to protect me from my own stupidity/carelessness,

:sick: Wood splitter just doesn't know the difference between your finger and a knot :shut: :exclaim:

Attachments

• IMGP3708.jpg
    IMGP3708.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 432
I like that idea.... been using my Homelite sitting on a stump, pressing hydro lever with left foot while pressing button with left hand. It's... interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.