Handsplitting Smaller Diameter / Shorter Length Rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just hand split oak / cherry rounds that I cut to length in May / June. Been drying for a couple months. They were real easy to split today. I think the drying made enough cracks for me to get my maul in easy. I have trouble splitting freshly cut logs. My axe just bounces off the higher btu stuff.

I'm trying to get my pile separated out to stuff I need the log splitter for. Hope to get the remainder of this year's score split with one afternoon on the splitter. My ash score has yet to arrive, but I'm hoping to have some winter work for November / December before it gets really cold.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
i had trouble a while back with freshly cut tulip. i had never done one of them before, and it would just absorb my 8 pound maul about an inch in, i'd pull it out and the hole would completely close up. much easier after sitting a while. to be honest, i never notice the difference in straight grained oak by letting it sit, but i do start on the smaller stuff and work my way down.

I've noticed Mulberry to be particularly tough to split when fresh. I have rounds of it waiting to age a bit.

I always use a wedge on the first split of a round and if the maul bounces. Much easier and faster in the long run.

I just pound away until I make a crack. With big rounds it is helpful to try to take a slab off one edge rather than try to split right thru the middle. When splitting a big round thru the middle try to line up your strikes to form a line across the round. Eventually it will crack if you can keep hitting the same line. Keep in mind that I enjoy splitting and I am way ahead so I don't care how long it takes. - I am in it for the exercise as much as for the firewood.

yeah...to be honest, I didn't try splitting the white oak smaller stuff before. I just noticed how easy it fell apart yesterday. the larger white oak rounds were impossible with an axe for me. those were fed to the log splitter. the smaller cherry was pretty easy. there's a nice looking split. it may not have supreme btu, but it looks nice in the stacks

I just pound away until I make a crack. With big rounds it is helpful to try to take a slab off one edge rather than try to split right thru the middle. When splitting a big round thru the middle try to line up your strikes to form a line across the round. Eventually it will crack if you can keep hitting the same line. Keep in mind that I enjoy splitting and I am way ahead so I don't care how long it takes. - I am in it for the exercise as much as for the firewood.

yeah...I hear you. I get frustrated and head for the log splitter. it is good exercise. it would be good to do 15 - 30 minutes daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.