Handy Link for Wood Weight (Log Form)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
I helped my dad drop a cherry tree over the weekend that he is selling to a bowl turner. It was a pretty good sized tree and I was trying to get a feel for how much it weighed. We got 7 8' logs...the butt end was about 28" and completely solid (usually they get ants when they get that big) and the upper most log tapered to about 16".

This link contains a chart that gives log weight for each foot, by species and log diameter.

http://sca.isa-arbor.com/PDFs/Green Log Weights by Mark Adams.pdf

According to this chart, the largest log was about 1,500 lbs, which was about all the tractor wanted to pick up and drag without some more ballast on the front.

I figured this would be handy for scroungers and the like to get a quick read on how much weight they're packing.

Reactions: fox9988
My little tractor thanks you for the link. I have been abusing it worse than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.