HandyViper Chimney cleaning tool opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I'm thinking of getting one of these handyvipers which are kind of pricey but it looks like it will help save my bad back during bottom-up cleanouts. There are not many reviews out there on this tool.

Does anybody use it, and if so which brush would work best on a 6" light wall SS Liner?
I was thinking of the PEK star brush but want it to be easy to reverse the brush in the liner.

Attachments

• screenshot_61.jpg
    screenshot_61.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 242
  • screenshot_62.jpg
    screenshot_62.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 235
  • screenshot_65.jpg
    screenshot_65.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 231
I'm thinking of getting one of these handyvipers which are kind of pricey but it looks like it will help save my bad back during bottom-up cleanouts. There are not many reviews out there on this tool.

Does anybody use it, and if so which brush would work best on a 6" light wall SS Liner?
I was thinking of the PEK star brush but want it to be easy to reverse the brush in the liner.
The handy viper is one of my favourite sweeping methods - I use it or just about all of my zero clearance ss fp flues and ss liners for inserts/stoves/oil boilers. I only use the 12" plastic/poly brush, its the only one i own. When that doesnt work due to third stage creosote build-up (which is rare) i swicth to my fiberglass rods and poly brush sized for flue liner

Thanks for the reply - there is not much information on the Handy Viper at Hearth.com. I'm amazed you can fit a 12" brush in a 6" liner?! I found a decent price ($351) at valuetesters.com and almost pulled the trigger. I gave the sooteater one last chance and figured out a way to make it easier on my bad back. I was not sure if the 8" star brush would work on my 6" ovalized liner ( 7" x 5" or so).

The Viper seems like one of those products someone had a great idea that nobody else copied (that I can find). Wish it were cheaper.

Thanks for the reply - there is not much information on the Handy Viper at Hearth.com. I'm amazed you can fit a 12" brush in a 6" liner?! I found a decent price ($351) at valuetesters.com and almost pulled the trigger. I gave the sooteater one last chance and figured out a way to make it easier on my bad back. I was not sure if the 8" star brush would work on my 6" ovalized liner ( 7" x 5" or so).

The Viper seems like one of those products someone had a great idea that nobody else copied (that I can find). Wish it were cheaper.
Honestly since we got our rotary cleaning setup I don't even carry my viper on the truck anymore. I find rotary cleaning more effective and easier than the viper. My biggest issue with the viper was the lack of ability to clean the cap from the ground. Rotary cleaners do a good job in most cases. I personally will not buy another viper.

Hmmm good info but kind of surprising.

I would think a big enough sized brush on the Viper would clean the cap from the ground and the great thing about the Viper (I thought) was that you only carry one spool instead of fussing with all those individual rods that you have to join and then separate. Seems like it would be so much quicker.

My issue is a bad back and I have to limit the time I spend kneeling or crouching down since it puts pressure on my discs - even checking air pressure on a car tire kills me let alone cleaning a flue.

I hear you on how effective the rotary method is and I like that rotary works on my ovalized liner so well.

Last edited:
I would think a big enough sized brush on the Viper would clean the cap from the ground
If you could spin it in the cap yes but you cannot with the viper. Using the viper I had to go up and clean the cam much more often than I do with our rotary. I also find the viper a little awkward to use I find botton lock rotary rods much easier and faster. But that is just my personal taste I know others feel differently.

I the viper comfortable to use but must use left handed with the rod coming out of the spool on the bottom. I go to the top on every job (while my guy sweeps) to check out exterior chimney as well as clean cap and check flue/other flues. I must admit ive never tried rotary but ive heard only great things about it and want to get into it.

I do not think the star brush would work in your oval liner.

I go to the top on every job
You wouldn't have to go up on every one if you rotary cleaned. Infact we work on many that simply are not possible to get on top of without spending allot of time setting up roof platforms ect. If we were to do that we would have to seriously increase our pricing. I do a visual inspection with either our chimscan from inside or binoculars outside. Even our drone in some situations. And if the cap needs more attention then I will do that.

You wouldn't have to go up on every one if you rotary cleaned. Infact we work on many that simply are not possible to get on top of without spending allot of time setting up roof platforms ect. If we were to do that we would have to seriously increase our pricing. I do a visual inspection with either our chimscan from inside or binoculars outside. Even our drone in some situations. And if the cap needs more attention then I will do that.
I understand your point, for sure. I do not however, feel binoculars work - I've seen to much that binoculars did not and could not see. Using a drone, now that's cool and I can see how it would work!
Really in PA there are roofs that tough to access? I honestly cannot remember the last time I had to tell customer it was going to cost more to get to the top for the free inspection, must have been years ago. Thats doing at least ten sweeps a day oct-jan and at least a few a day (sweeps or inspections - jobs i need to get to the top)year round

Really in PA there are roofs that tough to access?
clay tile roofs or wood shakes metal shingles asbestos tiles ect ect may with steep pitches. Chimneys sticking up 15 feet above the roof. Lots of metal roofs that are impossible to work on when wet or icy. Yes we also have plenty of simple ranches and on them most of the time I will go on the roof but I am not risking my safety or risk damaging the roof when I can do it just fine from the ground. Yes if I need to get up there I can we do carry ridge hooks and extra ridge ladders but even with that there are times it is not enough.

A drone for chimney cap inspections? How cool is that! When Santa starts delivering via drone I know the tech thing has gone too far...

I had a feeling the star brush would not work on the oval liner. Sounds like it's good I stuck w/ the sooteater but I'd like to see a Viper in action some day.

A drone for chimney cap inspections? How cool is that! When Santa starts delivering via drone I know the tech thing has gone too far...

I had a feeling the star brush would not work on the oval liner. Sounds like it's good I stuck w/ the sooteater but I'd like to see a Viper in action some day.
i think santa (well at least amazon ha) may be delivering via drone very soon

clay tile roofs or wood shakes metal shingles asbestos tiles ect ect may with steep pitches. Chimneys sticking up 15 feet above the roof. Lots of metal roofs that are impossible to work on when wet or icy. Yes we also have plenty of simple ranches and on them most of the time I will go on the roof but I am not risking my safety or risk damaging the roof when I can do it just fine from the ground. Yes if I need to get up there I can we do carry ridge hooks and extra ridge ladders but even with that there are times it is not enough.
Thankfully we have very few metal roofs around here - I never understood why, I think there great and will put one on my house one day. People around here just don’t like the look i guess. which is fine with me, makes my job much easier and safer. I cant even remember the last time I was on a metal roof! I have family in Maine and go there twice a year - I see them going on more often up there now as they are having a severe recession in the area I visit

I see them going on more often up there now as they are having a severe recession in the area I visit
They typically cost about the same labor is quite a bit less but materials are allot more so it evens out.

I also find the viper a little awkward to use

I'm curious what makes the Viper awkward to use? I thought the idea was you snake it up the liner while brushing back and forth and then reel it in? Seems easier than fiddling with lots of rods that have to be assembled and disassembled each time.

Last edited:
I'm curious what makes the Viper awkward to use? I thought the idea was you snake it up the liner iwhile brushing back and forth and then reel it in? Seems easier than fiddling with lots of rods that have to be assembled and disassembled each time.
if there is much resistance you have to keep fiddling with it to keep it going up you have to brush up and down multiple times and you cant get the cap clean. I can clean betterd with a rotary cleaner in half the time and the cap gets clean as well. I am not saying the viper is a bad product I just prefer my rotary cleaner I know it keeps me off of more roofs and out of harms way much more than the viper did. And my rotary rods don't take any fiddling I use 3 foot rods which I find much easier than the 5 footers. And the button locks on mine work very easily.

Now I understand. I can picture how the relatively flimsy Viper rod might require more "fiddling" to keep it moving.

I wish the Sooteater had those great button locks but they are not too bad - the trick is to reverse the drill to unwind the rod torque and I made a tool that makes them easier to release.

Very funny timing. I was just sitting down to fill out a rebate for recent purchase of some whiskey (not from an Amazon drone!) and I received the above timely comment at the EXACT same time. Very strange.

Now I'm gonna check Amazon's whiskey prices!

Status
Not open for further replies.