Hanging fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Maybe that's a way to get around hearth protection codes... no hearth!

I would have to believe that you need something under that thing to protect the floor from any stray sparks, etc when the door is opened. Can't believe it would meet code requirements.

Try finding the building codes for chains and brackets to hold up a fireplace. :ahhh:

I wonder if there are special codes in earthquake areas for the chimney on such a beast... put a piece of flex near the top so it can swing with the quake? Now that I think of it, that would be interesting to try even if totally unsafe - put flex on the chimney near the top, then get a fire going and swing it like a pendulum...

Slow1 said:
I wonder if there are special codes in earthquake areas for the chimney on such a beast... put a piece of flex near the top so it can swing with the quake? Now that I think of it, that would be interesting to try even if totally unsafe - put flex on the chimney near the top, then get a fire going and swing it like a pendulum...

30 years ago you would have been my kind of party guy. :coolgrin: In fact I would still like to do it. In somebody else house.

Status
Not open for further replies.