Happiest guy on this street...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK_XJ

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
Temp on the back porch just hit 29 and dropping - that means I can let 'er rip with a real "overnight load" for the first time this year. Some ash, white oak and cherry just lit off - tis a beautiful sight:

image.jpg

One of the most beautiful sight. I can never get tired of watching a good fire. Enjoy the warmth.

Reactions: ADK_XJ
Nice....

Just to bring it full circle, I think last night was low-20s at its coldest and I woke up at 6:15am to a stove with the blower still going on automatic and it was a pleasant sleeping-temp of 60 degrees in the house, stove top was still at 200 with glowing coals.

Block-off plate and roxul install were certainly a success. In two weeks I spray foam the crawl space under our living room and have high-density cellulose being blown up to R-40 in the sidewalls and attic...then we'll be really cooking.

Block-off plate and roxul install were certainly a success. In two weeks I spray foam the crawl space under our living room and have high-density cellulose being blown up to R-40 in the sidewalls and attic...then we'll be really cooking.
Careful on making the house to tight unless you have an oak connected to that setup

Careful on making the house to tight unless you have an oak connected to that setup
I'm not too concerned (yet) on that point because it's a 1910 farmhouse with lots of drafting throughout (fieldstone basement, for example) but I've read conflicting reports on the need for an OAK. Seems like even on here folks are sort of split 50/50 on whether to introduce one of or not.

But, if I really got desperate, there is actually an ash-chute type thing in the back of the original fireplace the insert is installed into. I blocked it off with roxul and durock but I could easily open it back up...

Sweet, I'm in the same boat, I may do the oak when I redo the basement next year

Looks great. I'm a huge fan of the Saratoga area. I have a summer camp on a small lake about 35 mins east of there.
Oh nice. And I'm from the Syracuse area originally myself...well, Skaneateles, but I tell people out here "Syracuse" to avoid confusion.

What Lake? My in-laws live near a small lake East of here...Cossayuna? Lauderdale?

In two weeks I spray foam the crawl space under our living room and have high-density cellulose being blown up to R-40 in the sidewalls and attic...then we'll be really cooking.

Who's doing the cellulose for you? I'm just a few minutes South in Ballston Lake, and looking to get that done as well before this winter really sets in.

Who's doing the cellulose for you? I'm just a few minutes South in Ballston Lake, and looking to get that done as well before this winter really sets in.

I'll PM you.

Status
Not open for further replies.