Happy 2015!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linc1216

Dec 6, 2014
Southern, New Jersey
Hi everyone and Happy New Year! Well, I just got 3 tons of Hardwood Heat at the TSC they were $259 per ton. I'm hoping as I have read that Hamer's Hot Ones makes these Hardwood Heat pellets for TSC. So, along with the half of ton of Lignetics pellets I hope this amount will carry me through the winter months ahead. My garage and spare bedroom is overflowing!

I got my permit for my stove installation which will be this Monday, January 5th. I can't wait til' my Accentra 52i arrives. Geez, I certainly didn't expect the permit to cost so much it was $160 and I was told the inspector would come out to my home on Tuesday.

Also, I have a question re: Generators. TSC is offering online TODAY only, 15% off of their store items. Just this past Monday there was a power outage here where I live that lasted approx. 4 hours due to a pole being hit. So, I got to thinking, I need a generator for my pellet stove just in case.

The one I ordered online is a Champion 1400W/1800W Portable Generator, Carb Compliant. Minus -$21 S/H to store and -$30 order discount the total came to $181.89. Will this generator be powerful enough to run the Accentra? The price was just too good to pass up on.

Can anyone verify if indeed Hardwood Heat is aka Hamer's?

Pellet info.jpg

Attachments

• Hardwood Heat.jpg
    Hardwood Heat.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 87
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your reply. It's so hard to even purchase decent pellets around here at reasonable price.

Reactions: LordmetalZ28
Good to see you are getting things lined up for your new stove.is you new generator a pure sine inverter generator if not you may have to buy a UPS to run the stove off of the gen the controll board on the harman requires pure sine electric to function properly so I've heard anyway

Good to see you are getting things lined up for your new stove.is you new generator a pure sine inverter generator if not you may have to buy a UPS to run the stove off of the gen the controll board on the harman requires pure sine electric to function properly so I've heard anyway

What's a pure sine inverter? I didn't see that term listed under description.

Well a lot of generators will put out dirty power that maybe power tools lights etc. don't mind but your harman has a sensitive controll board like your pc or smart phone they like the power that is pure and not dirty like what comes from your power company if you're gen is not pure sine wave you can purchase a ups that will controll the power thru it to the stove.harman recommends this one
APC BE750G Power Saving Battery Back-UPSAug 16, 2013
by APC

Well a lot of generators will put out dirty power that maybe power tools lights etc. don't mind but your harman has a sensitive controll board like your pc or smart phone they like the power that is pure and not dirty like what comes from your power company if you're gen is not pure sine wave you can purchase a ups that will controll the power thru it to the stove.harman recommends this one
APC BE750G Power Saving Battery Back-UPSAug 16, 2013
by APC

What would be the difference from plugging the stove into a power surge suppressor that uses "unpure" electricity? I do understand the generator not being pure electricity. Just trying to understand.

The surge shouldn't allow a surge or poor dirty power thru it or it's not operating the way it's was designed.the apc 750 should send good power thru though have it connected to your generator

Last edited:
I use a UPS like the one below. If the power goes out it will sense the amp draw and tell you how many minutes of power you have. When I unplug mine from the wall it says I have 34 minutes so if the power hasn't come back on in 20 minutes, I know to get off my butt and either shut down the stove or go hook up the generator. I calculated my stove at about 350 watts and it has an auger motor and a stirrer motor so your generator will be fine for the Accentra.

41NC0KNDSgL.jpg

Reactions: Big papa
I use a UPS like the one below. If the power goes out it will sense the amp draw and tell you how many minutes of power you have. When I unplug mine from the wall it says I have 34 minutes so if the power hasn't come back on in 20 minutes, I know to get off my butt and either shut down the stove or go hook up the generator. I calculated my stove at about 350 watts and it has an auger motor and a stirrer motor so your generator will be fine for the Accentra.

View attachment 149180
Yes she bought a gen that she is usure if it's pure sine so I recommended the apc 750 to ensure didn't burn up the controll board.

Okay, I bought specifically for my stove the Tripp Lite Isobar4Ultra 3330 Joules - Surge Suppressor other than this not being a battery back up, is this safe for the Accentra? And would it be possible to plug generator into this suppressor? I saw Harman suggested either three devices and the Tripp Lite was one but had lesser joules.

Last edited:
If harman recommended the Tripp then you will be fine using it once you get your gen try hooking it up with your surge and make sure every thing works ok if your surge doesn't like the gen it won't power the stove let me know how it goes

If harman recommended the Tripp then you will be fine using it once you get your gen try hooking it up with your surge and make sure every thing works ok if your surge doesn't like the gen it won't power the stove let me know how it goes

I don't want the generator now. I'll just get my money back when it arrives at the store ( couldn't cancel the online order). I thought since it was portable I could run it in my house but after reading the dangers of doing such... forget it!!!

Ok, so a question to ask your dealer is " What happens to my stove when I run it off a Harman recommended UPS ?" It may be in your manual.. Or a power supply/generator that is Not pure sine wave. I may be mistaken, but I think it will go into a shutdown mode and only use the combustion fan till fire is out, being a newer version stove.. Also do a search here : Harman Auto shutdown. Yes, running a generator in a house, basement or attached garage it a Big no no. Let us know how things work out with install..

I don't want the generator now. I'll just get my money back when it arrives at the store ( couldn't cancel the online order). I thought since it was portable I could run it in my house but after reading the dangers of doing such... forget it!!!
If you don't like the generator idea they make pure sine inverters that run off your car that can power the stove in an outage

If you don't like the generator idea they make pure sine inverters that run off your car that can power the stove in an outage

I just ordered the APC BE750G Power Saving Back UPS as suggested by Harman. And the car deal sounds a little dangerous. I'm not mechanical. One last question and... I AIN'T spending another dime. So, the pellet stove plugs into the APC back up and that 's it?

Yes and when the power goes out the apc has enough power stored to shut the stove down without getting smoke in the house.the apc is nice cause you can take the batteries out of it and replace them when needed

As far as the the inverter hooked to your car it just hooks up to the battery just like you would hook up jumper cables to get it started and then run an extension cable from the car to the stove it's actually a lot cheaper than a geny

Status
Not open for further replies.