Happy about my new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
When I was thinking of upgrading my stove to a bigger one, in the back of my mind I was thinking was this a mistake, and should I spend the 2.7K on something else?

Well this weekend I found out it was a very good investment.
Friday the snow started and by Saturday afternoon we had about a foot of snow with 40 mph winds a blowing.
At that time my propain furnace stopped working. So I brought the TL-300 up above 450 and I found out that yes if the power ever goes out it will heat my home and the little eco fan will spread the heat in the basement. Last night it got into the mid-teens and the house after a 8 hour burn was around 68. Today with the sun out I was able to get it around 74 degrees.

Snow and teens, isn't this spring time? Oh, MN, like in Minnesota?

Always nice to have a backup when needed. Next year you should get lots of good heat from your new stove.

Cold here again with below freezing night. I have been lighting the wood stove evenings so the furnace doesn't run. Sunny days which keeps the house warm enough during the work day.

It's a great feeling to be snug as a bug when the power is out. Let's hope this is the last gasp of winter.

Furnace is fixed and back up and running. Apparently a fuse blew on the board. The tech was unable to determine the reason, so he left a spare and told me to call him back it if goes again.

It is not the unusual for us to get snow in late April.
When I was living in Madison in 96 timeframe I remember getting snow in June.

I hope you can get that thing much higher than 450 as you will need it in the winter. As you well know, things are a tad different when the temperature stays cold all day and downright frigid at night. Hope it works out well for you.

On the eco fan, we bought one once and thought it useless for moving air so sent it back. Now we have the new stove perhaps it would be different. Not sure on that one.

I agree with the snow not being unusual in April and even in May. Actually, I've seen snow fall in Michigan in every month except August. One time in Alaska we saw it snow in August so now I can say I've seen it snow every month of the year!

We too have been using the stove at night lately. Hope that ends soon. Forecast says warmer in a couple of days. We hope.

Oh yes it can get above 450, actually this morning my wife turned by the air on it and it pegged the stove top thermometer. :gulp:

One thing about the stove is it has its afterburn chamber, and I was told by the dealer that on the other version of the stove the TL-200 he had allot of people over firing there stoves and breaking the chamber. The chamber itself super heats the gases to 2 to 3 times the heat of the stove so if your burning at 500 the chamber may be running at 1.5K. When I kick it into afterburn "when it ignites" it sounds like a jet engine and it blows heat like a dragon. Upstairs you can just smell an odor off the Class A HT pipe as it gets very hot. Kinda of amazing that it puts off so much heat even at its lowest setting.

When I lived in Ashland, WI I remember seeing snow on the 4th of July, (somewhere in the 76-77 timeframe).
Of course the 2-3 inches didn't last that long and the thunderstorm that preceded the snow was downright frightening.
Was 85-95 degrees, during the day, that night a front came over the lake and it got cold.
Not to mention the tornadoes that were spawned by the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.