Happy Birthday Julia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Google reminded me that Julia would have been 100 today. She was a lot of fun to watch. I would have loved to have sat at one of her dinners and enjoyed the good food, wine and some good conversation.

musical julia:
http://video.pbs.org/video/2267156929

Happy Birthday, Julia !!

She was one of my first intro's to cooking other than Mom's ( Mom's a great cook !!), but she was wayyyyyy more bold than anything I'd ever seen.

Until I saw the Galloping Gourmet ;)

I grabbed an excellent used hardback copy of 1999 1st Edition Julia & Jacques (Pepin) Cooking At Home off Amazon 3 months ago for just under $6,including postage.Can't tell it from a new copy,that's around $40 now for cheapest one. Lots of great stuff in there.Havent tried any of the recipes yet,but will soon.

Imagine my surprise when after opening to the inside front cover & seeing it was signed by both of them. >>

Reactions: PapaDave
Still love the odd day that I can catch a re-run of hers.

pen

6 or 7 years ago I was going through the Smithsonian Museum of American History on the Mall in DC (again)...I always loved that place. They had recreated Julia Child's kitchen...yes, her actual kitchen filled with her actual "stuff" in a display I'd not seen before. A TV monitor played non-stop reruns of her TV appearances. It was fascinating. Dunno if it's still there...they change some stuff out in those museums from time to time. Rick

6 or 7 years ago I was going through the Smithsonian Museum of American History on the Mall in DC (again)...I always loved that place. They had recreated Julia Child's kitchen...yes, her actual kitchen filled with her actual "stuff" in a display I'd not seen before. A TV monitor played non-stop reruns of her TV appearances. It was fascinating. Dunno if it's still there...they change some stuff out in those museums from time to time. Rick

2 years ago or so I was there, and saw it. Had to admire how certain items in her kitchen were bargain brands. Also, had to chuckle that the Garland gas stove she had was the match to the one at our cabin, the one that was voted to be sent to scrap :(

I love Garland stoves.

6 or 7 years ago I was going through the Smithsonian Museum of American History on the Mall in DC (again)

Not sure how you find the time since one can hardly get through the museum of natural history in just the one lifetime :cool:

Not sure how you find the time since one can hardly get through the museum of natural history in just the one lifetime :cool:

Well, I lived 12 miles due west of the White House for 12 years, so I had lots of opportunities...but I know what you mean. I could get lost for a week in any of them. ;lol

Yeah. I really like our nation's capitol. It's a beautiful city with some wonderful museums and historical spots. I'd love to spend more time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.