1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Happy Birthday Julia

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by begreen, Aug 15, 2012.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Google reminded me that Julia would have been 100 today. She was a lot of fun to watch. I would have loved to have sat at one of her dinners and enjoyed the good food, wine and some good conversation.

musical julia:
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2267156929

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Happy Birthday, Julia !!

She was one of my first intro's to cooking other than Mom's ( Mom's a great cook !!), but she was wayyyyyy more bold than anything I'd ever seen.

Until I saw the Galloping Gourmet ;)
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I grabbed an excellent used hardback copy of 1999 1st Edition Julia & Jacques (Pepin) Cooking At Home off Amazon 3 months ago for just under $6,including postage.Can't tell it from a new copy,that's around $40 now for cheapest one. Lots of great stuff in there.Havent tried any of the recipes yet,but will soon.

Imagine my surprise when after opening to the inside front cover & seeing it was signed by both of them. >>
    PapaDave likes this.
  4. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Still love the odd day that I can catch a re-run of hers.

pen
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    6 or 7 years ago I was going through the Smithsonian Museum of American History on the Mall in DC (again)...I always loved that place. They had recreated Julia Child's kitchen...yes, her actual kitchen filled with her actual "stuff" in a display I'd not seen before. A TV monitor played non-stop reruns of her TV appearances. It was fascinating. Dunno if it's still there...they change some stuff out in those museums from time to time. Rick
  6. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    2 years ago or so I was there, and saw it. Had to admire how certain items in her kitchen were bargain brands. Also, had to chuckle that the Garland gas stove she had was the match to the one at our cabin, the one that was voted to be sent to scrap :(
  7. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I love Garland stoves.
  8. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    Not sure how you find the time since one can hardly get through the museum of natural history in just the one lifetime :cool:
  9. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Well, I lived 12 miles due west of the White House for 12 years, so I had lots of opportunities...but I know what you mean. I could get lost for a week in any of them. ;lol
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yeah. I really like our nation's capitol. It's a beautiful city with some wonderful museums and historical spots. I'd love to spend more time there.