Happy Crow in Snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This fellow is having too much fun. He's discovered snowboarding! Or I guess that makes it Crowboarding!

Is that really a crow? Ours are solid black. I've heard they are a very smart bird. That's a riot.

pen

I wondered the same. It may be a Russian jackdaw variant which is a European relative (Corvus soemmerringii)? Maybe Kath knows.

Attachments

• russian-crow.jpg
    russian-crow.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 291
I was a lifeguard at a pool next to an animal rehab place. About once a week the crow would say Hello about 20 times and then not talk again. It wasn't a sounds like Hello, this crow could absolutely positively say the word.

Sure is easier to fly back up than walk back up.

mbcijim said:
I was a lifeguard at a pool next to an animal rehab place. About once a week the crow would say Hello about 20 times and then not talk again. It wasn't a sounds like Hello, this crow could absolutely positively say the word.

We had a raven that would hang out on the backstop at elementary school. It loved calling plays. You'd hear Strike! Or Ball! coming from him (or her) all the time. They are very intelligent animals and great puzzle solvers.

mbcijim said:

They can definately talk. I worked at a pet shop that had one years ago, he ended up there because when he was small, he fell out of the nest and a kid took him in and fed him. Well, as he grew, he turned into a clepto (the like shiney things) and was stealing stuff from all the neighbors. He didn't talk much, but would say "hello" in a very soft voice.

I love it, BG :)

Is that a "Birdtun" board?

Some might get it.

KC

Ooo, that's a stretch. Can you imagine the tiny size of the bindings?

So cool. I saw a video of ravens sliding/rolling down a snowy slope before- but the fact that it has a sled is great.

When people doubt animal emotion/personality I just don't know what to say. I recently convinced my office mate that dogs do things for sheer enjoyment, and he's an expert in cognitive robotics (it wasn't a quick conversation)

That is amazing I have never seem a bird sled before! Thanks for posting that BeeGreen.

Pete

cool! Yes jackdaw. I once watched a pair of crows on top of a factory in east L.A. There was a stream of air coming out of a stack and the were riding the wave up and then tumbling down again and again.
I love corvids (crows/ravens/jays/magpies). Supposedly Ravens guide wolf packs to elk, etc. A guy at U VT who had done some amazing research with ravens and he writes great, user friendly books. Not just about ravens.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?a...XOJ6Hmls&mcid=6521708964&adwordsid=1069455620

I saw that on GMA yesterday...I always said birds are smart buggers.
My parrot still surprises me and I have had him for 13 years. His latest obsession is an empty Dogfish head beer bottle. I have to put one in his cage. He "plays" with it....ok he has his smart moments.... :-S that may or may not be one of them... :red: :lol: :-/

A year or so ago my wife and I were hot tubbing when we saw a large gray squirrel bebopping through the woods . . . a crow kept hopping behind him . . . the squirrel would chitter at him . . . and then would take a few more steps and the crow would hop after him, always keeping him in sight . . . eventually the squirrel buried his stash of food he was carrying and scampered away . . . and the crow then came in and ate the buried food. Mammals: 0. Birds: 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.