Happy New Years Eve Surprise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkuntz413

Jul 12, 2008
eastern Long Island
I have heated my house for 9 years, first with a vc defiant, and since last fall, a Hearthstone Heritage. The best part of this is that I have only bought wood twice in that span of time. I bought a cord 4 days ago for $325.00 which is the going rate where I live.
The day after I got the cord, an ad appeared in the local paper-Free-2 cords of firewood from oak tree that came down in a storm, must also take chipper/shredder. So I was lucky and beat the other 30 people who called to the punch and went to pick up the wood hoping that it was a tree that came down long enough ago that I could burn it this winter. Imagine my surprise when I opened the garage door with the homeowner and saw the close to 2 cords of wood, and at the same time was told that it was sitting in there for TEN YEARS. I have never seen un-split wood that was as dry as this stuff before. Now it gets better...... I lent my 20 year old perfectly good wood splitter to a friend last month who is broke and not in the best of health. He somehow managed to seize the motor on the second day. I for the most part assumed that due to its age, it would be a problem to replace that old motor, and was going to junk it. So I walked behind the wood pile to look at the chipper/shredder which I had very little interest in, and got the second surprise. The motor was the exact same motor that was on my splitter, and all I have to do is switch them. The chipper/shredder motor looks almost brand new. That was a Happy New Years Eve Day.

...and then you woke up.

Wow- whatta score, D..........................

Nice score! With luck like that I'd be tempted to make a run to AC and put it on black or red haha

Wow! Congratulations dkuntz413.

Now I hope you feel you have an obligation to those nice folks and take them a very nice present. It only seems the right thing to do.

What brand of chipper /shredder is it. If it is an old one it might be worht more the engine.

I would tend to agree - the chipper / shredder in good working order could be worth a lot more than the motor alone - Especially since most splitters are designed around very generic engines, so you could get a replacement pretty easily... (and cheaply - i.e. an HF "china clone" copy of a Honda - often on sale for $1-200 depending on size...)

Gooserider

I will grab another truckload of the wood today, get the name of the chipper/shredder, and a photo.
It just struck me as a small homeowner type that would only chip something a half inch diameter.
It was green very unlike the wood that had sat in the barn for 10 years.
Thanks for the suggesting to step back and put the wrench down for a bit.
Doug

Sounds like Christmas to me! Very good score glad it all worked out to repair your splitter too...

Ray

Here are the photos of the chipper-shredder, that I am doubtful is of much value. But then again.............

Attachments

• IMG_6619.jpg
    IMG_6619.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_6618.jpg
    IMG_6618.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 261
dkuntz413 said:
Here are the photos of the chipper-shredder, that I am doubtful is of much value. But then again.............

Being a compost shredder it probably is worth more than u think... Great for a serious gardener....

Ray

dkuntz413 said:
If you were closer I'd buy you a new Honda clone and trade.

LLigetfa said:
dkuntz413 said:

I agree... From what I've heard, not all that great as a chipper, but as a leaf / compost shredder they are supposed to be pretty good... MacKissic is still in business, and still making that model, which it has been doing for a LOT of years. The Mackissic website if you are curious...

I have an ancient Kemp machine that looks similar, but spins it's drum in the opposite direction, and does a reasonably good job of shredding my compost, but it's slow, and has to be fed very carefully or it jams... The Mac design is from the same era, and is supposed to be much better...

If you have leaves or compost of your own to shred, it is a nice unit - if not, I'd put it up on Craigs List and expect to get a pretty good price for it... Looking at the website, and comparing pictures, that looks like a models 12P1100 - it should have a chute for branches on the side, and an 11hp motor on it? If so, MSRP on that unit is $1,899.00. Given that it looks to be in pretty decent shape, I'd expect to get at least $5-600 for it, maybe more, which is close to the cost of a brand new Honda or equivalent engine, let alone a "China Clone"

Gooserider

Thanks everybody. It does say shredder composter on the label. When the person who put the ad in the paper for the wood, it said chipper shredder, and thats where it stayed until I looked at the label.I am going to see if I can sell it to someone who has a garden and could make good use of it. Not sure if we can continue this thread in this forum, but how do I start looking for a new Briggs & Stratton or other motor for my splitter. Its a 5 hp motor with the shaft coming off the side like in the photo of the shredder.

Gooserider said:
LLigetfa said:
dkuntz413 said:
I'd expect to get at least $5-600 for it, maybe more, which is close to the cost of a brand new Honda or equivalent engine, let alone a "China Clone"
What can I say? I'm cheap. Way too cheap to buy a new one at $2G. Without seeing it, it's still a pig in a poke.

This is what I did, now that I see that I can replace the engine for a reasonable amount.
The man who gave me the splitter 10 years ago has a daughter who tends a rather large garden.
I am giving her the composter, she will pay to bring it up to speed.
Comes around, goes around. I still have 2 cords of free wood, and the gas grill.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.