Happy Quadrafire Voyageur owners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldMud

Aug 9, 2013
Lothian, Maryland
My local Ace store was having a stove clearance sale. Bought a Jotul. Found out a few days later that the stove was damaged. No more Jotuls. They offered me a new Voyageur at 50% off, so I went for it. Would have preferred the Jotul, but couldn't pass up the deal. House is a block and brick rambler. Approx. 1200 square feet on main floor. Not concerned about an insert that will pump heat to basement. May be able to use fan to circulate warm air. I know it has a smaller firebox which is why I preferred the Jotul. Looking for any tips, suggestions, or general comments concerning this insert. Looking forward to the burning season.

I have heard some good things on Quadrafire stoves. The twelve hour burn time will most likely be 8-9 hours with good hardwoods that are seasoned to less then 20% moisture content. So make sure your wood is less than 20%. You can get a moisture meter at Lowes for around $30. With these stoves thats a good investment as wood with too much moisture will drive you crazy with these newer type stoves. Good dry wood lets you get a load up and going quicker and get the stove shut down sooner and lets you set the stove to a lower slower burn. Thats gets your a longer burn time. Learning how to load the stove and deal with how much coals you have will also help burn times and performance. I have found that if I have bigger splits of wood that are good and dry will get longer burn times. Lastly , burn times are not just flames but burn times includes the time you have good hot coals putting off heat and your stove top is still around 275-300 deg but everyone's definition is a little different. Its been said on here before 50% of your heat is in the coal stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.