harbor freight chain sharpener?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
is this thing any good?
will it sharpen to close to what the local hardware store can get it to?
i have a hand file and that works for a while, but after a few sharpens with the file it just does not have the oomph that a new chain or a freshly sharpened one has.
i have a coupon + 20% off so it will cost 15$ for the sharpener.
just curious how you guys like this unit.

For 15 bucks it would help in the over all hygiene of your chains!

I have the original HF cheapo called "Nick the Grinder". It works if you pay attention. Lets face it - its a spinning grinding wheel. Some have better control of the wheel than others do. Tighter, better built, etc...but it works. I pay close attention when I sharpen and it gives me a nice sharp edge.

I have never heard it go for that cheap. 29.95 is usually the sales price. you cannot go wrong at that price. it amazes me how cheap they can sell some stuff and most of it has worked pretty well for me. also all the free gifts. I have the sharpener and it works for me, I mostly hand file because I can do it faster because I can leave the chain on the bar and I am getting good results. But as you said if your hand filing goes down hill then the sharpener will get it back on track. Only take a tiny bit off at a time.

Will something like that handle the fine angles of an Stihl RSC chain. I just ordered two of them (total $32 plus free shipping: 16 inch chain). I've been advised by my Stihl dealer friend that these are really hard to sharpen correctly by hand. I plan to use them only for felling and bucking clean wood and save my 'Green" chains for down and dirty cutting.

Just wondered if an electric sharpener could handle RSC chain or will I need to take it into the Stihl dealer to get it sharpened?

Kenster said:
Will something like that handle the fine angles of an Stihl RSC chain. I just ordered two of them (total $32 plus free shipping: 16 inch chain). I've been advised by my Stihl dealer friend that these are really hard to sharpen correctly by hand. I plan to use them only for felling and bucking clean wood and save my 'Green" chains for down and dirty cutting.

Just wondered if an electric sharpener could handle RSC chain or will I need to take it into the Stihl dealer to get it sharpened?

Its easy chain to grind. 30/60

I have one, it works well. At that price if it saves you from buying a chain or two, you are ahead of yourself.

My hand filing abilities are pretty poor, so this makes sure I do it right. or at least as "right" as harbor freight can get!

Kenster said:

Sounds like your dealer is pulling your leg..... "the fine angles of a Stihl RSC chain" lol. They are the best chain in my opinion, but that is just ridiculous. If I had to rely on my stihl dealer to sharpen my rsc chain it would be more cost effective to just buy a new chain every third sharpening. A hand file will work just fine.

“the fine angles of a Stihl RSC chain†lol.
Yep, that's a good one. I run RSC or RSF on everything except the 192t, & I find it easy & fast to sharpen, if you take your time you can get the stuff wicked sharp. The angles are listed on the little paper that comes with a new chain. 30/60 I think. If your chain is sharp, but cuts a little slow file the rakers. A C

Just got mine yesterday. Super great price too. I have now sharpened 2 chains, and it worked great so far. It is plastic, for the most part, so you can't be rough with it. I think as long as you are careful and don't bang it around, it will work out fine. My saw cuts like new right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.