Harbor Freight Gloves Alternative to Atlas Fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello There,
Last year I had a few samples of Atlas gloves sent to me--I really like the Fit, but cannot seem to find them in my area. Has anyone got info for comparables at Harbor Freight or TSC?

S

I tried some of the yellow(?) gloves from HF but wasn't excited over them...seemed to wear rather quickly...quicker than the Atlas un-insulated that I tried. For the price I've had good luck with the "leather" reinforced HF work gloves that have the blue reinforcements stitched in....5 pairs for something like $6.

Ed

Gloves For stacking? Or saw gloves?

To expound on my last comment with what I use... I use the cheap HF leather/reinforced gloves for both stacking and sawing. The rubber-palmed type gloves I pretty well only use for sawing now...seemed the splinters starting working through them fairly quickly when used for wood handling (HF or Atlas brands). Mostly just grab the cheap leather ones.

Ed

Intheswamp said:
smokinjay said:
Both!!! Since the opportunity arose, I figure I might as well mine this information out of you Jay. :)

Ed

Stacking gloves just get as cheep as you can find. (I have retired from stacking)Sweet! Saw gloves I have lots of those. From very heavy insulated to stihl anti-vibes. You just dont always know what pair going to work best until you walk out side and how the saw responds to what wood that day. For example low rakers in hardwood with a long bar for 6 hours better have a set of anti-vibes that day. (or its going to fell like tennis elbow for a month). Normally the padded carhartts will do quite well unless its cold weather cutting.

smokinjay said:
Intheswamp said:
smokinjay said:
Both!!! Since the opportunity arose, I figure I might as well mine this information out of you Jay. :)

Ed

Stacking gloves just get as cheep as you can find. (I have retired from stacking)Sweet! Saw gloves I have lots of those. From very heavy insulated to stihl anti-vibes. You just dont always know what pair going to work best until you walk out side and how the saw responds to what wood that day. For example low rakers in hardwood with a long bar for 6 hours better have a set of anti-vibes that day. (or its going to fell like tennis elbow for a month). Normally the padded carhartts will do quite well unless its cold weather cutting.
Thanks Jay. I had my ulnar nerve (funny bone) operated on a few years ago and have some transient episodes now with it. Compound that with a new pinched nerve in the neck that radiates into the left shoulder/upper arm (tingles) and then into the elbow where king arthur appears to be setting up a kingdom...my left upper appendage is having a few issues right now. I'm thinking the anti-vibe gloves might help me some there. One of the main reasons I picked up my Huskee splitter is because the Fiskars SS basically was jarring me to no end, I enjoyed swinging it but when I was through splitting it would let me know about it! Maybe a good set up anti-vibe gloves would help the elbow/arm out when sawing. I'm cutting with a (new to me this year) MS260 Pro and I really like the anti-vibe system on it, but anything that will help out I'm all for it! It's really a bummer when you find something that you really enjoy doing and then some physical limitations set in.<groan> I'm not that old (53), but I'm to the point that I definitely notice the process of aging. But hey, at least I'm still percolating along! :)

Ed

Intheswamp said:
smokinjay said:
Intheswamp said:
smokinjay said:

Ed

Thanks Jay. I had my ulnar nerve (funny bone) operated on a few years ago and have some transient episodes now with it. Compound that with a new pinched nerve in the neck that radiates into the left shoulder/upper arm (tingles) and then into the elbow where king arthur appears to be setting up a kingdom...my left upper appendage is having a few issues right now. I'm thinking the anti-vibe gloves might help me some there. One of the main reasons I picked up my Huskee splitter is because the Fiskars SS basically was jarring me to no end, I enjoyed swinging it but when I was through splitting it would let me know about it! Maybe a good set up anti-vibe gloves would help the elbow/arm out when sawing. I'm cutting with a (new to me this year) MS260 Pro and I really like the anti-vibe system on it, but anything that will help out I'm all for it! It's really a bummer when you find something that you really enjoy doing and then some physical limitations set in.<groan> I'm not that old (53), but I'm to the point that I definitely notice the process of aging. But hey, at least I'm still percolating along! :)

Ed

The stihl anti-vibe gloves are nice and very strong pair of gloves. I even use them when running d/a sanders. There a little weird at first but easy enough to get use to and takes a little break in as well. Worth the 40.00 bucks.

For the Atlas Fit, try Grainger, Airgas or HD Supply/White Cap. These are some of the industrial retail distributors that I have seen these ship to recently.

Tried the orange harbor freight gloves this year, they are holding up relly well. No holes or split seams after 6 cords split and stacked but. . . . the black die they use on the leather turned my fingers blue/gray.

It looks wierd but washes off with soap and water.

3 pairs for less than 10 bucks.

thinkxingu said:
Hello There,
Last year I had a few samples of Atlas gloves sent to me--I really like the Fit, but cannot seem to find them in my area. Has anyone got info for comparables at Harbor Freight or TSC?

S

I see you are in S. NH. I get my Atlas gloves in Portsmouth here: http://newenglandmarine.com

I use the 300 or 300I. Maybe not the cheapest but they have them on the shelf.

I was just there last week--darn it! Thanks for the info, though.

S

Baileys now has Atlas gloves. I saw them on the back side of the order form insert of the new sale flyer.

CT, how thin are they? The thing I like about the Atlas Fit is that I can do almost everything with the gloves on. Others need to be removed when working with small items, getting into small places, etc.

Thanks,

S

Status
Not open for further replies.