Harbor Freight on how not to use a chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No gloves and he already cut a chunk off of his right boot tip.

Isn't that how you make sure its sharp? Not like harbor freight is the caddy of tools or intelligence!

tradergordo said:
Just got their promo email a couple minutes ago - the picture in it is classic!
Check it out

A guy in shorts and t-shirt, cutting with the tip of the saw, while teetering preciptously on the edge of some structure (left foot hanging over the edge)...

Not to mention that every chainsaw manual I've seen cautions you that a chainsaw is only intended to be used for cutting logs / trees in their OEM form - not an OSB floor which is what it looks like this guy is tackling...

I can't even figure out what the guy would be cutting on a floor like that where a chainsaw would be an appropriate tool? If I had to cut a hole in the floor I wouldn't even think of using a chainsaw, I would go for the circular saw or a sawzall, maybe even a jigsaw, not a chainsaw...

Of course, one could argue that it's an effective picture - its gotten a bunch of us to look at their advertisement! :p

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
tradergordo said:
Just got their promo email a couple minutes ago - the picture in it is classic!
Check it out

A guy in shorts and t-shirt, cutting with the tip of the saw, while teetering preciptously on the edge of some structure (left foot hanging over the edge)...

Not to mention that every chainsaw manual I've seen cautions you that a chainsaw is only intended to be used for cutting logs / trees in their OEM form - not an OSB floor which is what it looks like this guy is tackling...

I can't even figure out what the guy would be cutting on a floor like that where a chainsaw would be an appropriate tool? If I had to cut a hole in the floor I wouldn't even think of using a chainsaw, I would go for the circular saw or a sawzall, maybe even a jigsaw, not a chainsaw...

Of course, one could argue that it's an effective picture - its gotten a bunch of us to look at their advertisement! :p

Gooserider

Obviously Goose, you have never framed a house in West Virginia. The chainsaw is used extensively where you may think a reciprocating saw would be appropriate. (Cutting out windows, rafter tails, etc)

First time I saw it, I was like "Whoa !!!!!!"

Isn't suggesting ways for your customers to hurt themselves bad for repeat business? Or, is HF going into the prosthesis business and this is their way of creating demand?

Really funny coming from the company that says that I need to "Always wear ANSI approved impact safety goggles." when using my moisture meter.

Well, hey, maybe if you try to take a reading on a really wet split, the moisture meter might slip and poke your eyes out... :)

Jay

That's really an ad for chain sharpeners because he's cutting along the center of a floor joist already nailed down. Sparks and a bouncy bar.

I'm nowhere's near West Virginia but I used the old "precision" Husky when replacing two large casements a couple years back.I screwed up while measuring my rough stud opening and then resorted to using the chainsaw to make the new windows fit.Surprisingly it worked pretty well,although cleaning bar oil from a white ceiling is a beeotch.I've also heard of people building homes (in the middle of nowhere)and using a chainsaw for every cut;maybe just an urban myth, but if you had no access to a generator or power supply......

Status
Not open for further replies.