1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Harbor Freight on how not to use a chainsaw

Post in 'The Gear' started by tradergordo, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradergordo

tradergordo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    Just got their promo email a couple minutes ago - the picture in it is classic!
    Check it out

A guy in shorts and t-shirt, cutting with the tip of the saw, while teetering preciptously on the edge of some structure (left foot hanging over the edge)...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    No gloves and he already cut a chunk off of his right boot tip.
  3. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    Isn't that how you make sure its sharp? Not like harbor freight is the caddy of tools or intelligence!
  4. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Not to mention that every chainsaw manual I've seen cautions you that a chainsaw is only intended to be used for cutting logs / trees in their OEM form - not an OSB floor which is what it looks like this guy is tackling...

I can't even figure out what the guy would be cutting on a floor like that where a chainsaw would be an appropriate tool? If I had to cut a hole in the floor I wouldn't even think of using a chainsaw, I would go for the circular saw or a sawzall, maybe even a jigsaw, not a chainsaw...

Of course, one could argue that it's an effective picture - its gotten a bunch of us to look at their advertisement! :p

Gooserider
  5. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    Obviously Goose, you have never framed a house in West Virginia. The chainsaw is used extensively where you may think a reciprocating saw would be appropriate. (Cutting out windows, rafter tails, etc)

First time I saw it, I was like "Whoa !!!!!!"
  6. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Isn't suggesting ways for your customers to hurt themselves bad for repeat business? Or, is HF going into the prosthesis business and this is their way of creating demand?
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Really funny coming from the company that says that I need to "Always wear ANSI approved impact safety goggles." when using my moisture meter.
  8. Jay H

Jay H New Member

Loc:
    NJ
    Well, hey, maybe if you try to take a reading on a really wet split, the moisture meter might slip and poke your eyes out... :)

Jay
  9. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    That's really an ad for chain sharpeners because he's cutting along the center of a floor joist already nailed down. Sparks and a bouncy bar.
  10. titan

titan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I'm nowhere's near West Virginia but I used the old "precision" Husky when replacing two large casements a couple years back.I screwed up while measuring my rough stud opening and then resorted to using the chainsaw to make the new windows fit.Surprisingly it worked pretty well,although cleaning bar oil from a white ceiling is a beeotch.I've also heard of people building homes (in the middle of nowhere)and using a chainsaw for every cut;maybe just an urban myth, but if you had no access to a generator or power supply......
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.