Harbor Freight Wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigV

Oct 1, 2006
Akron, OH
Has anyone tried one of these wedges from HARBOR FREIGHT ? I threw away the ones I got from Home Depot after using one of these. I went back to Harbor Freight and purchased 3 more the next day. Very easy to start and I have yet to have one pop out after hitting it with the sledge hammer.

I've used it and like it. I have an assortment of wedges, and I'm not sure where that one is
right now. Your post reminded me to look for it. :)

I have a cone shaped wedge, not HF, called "The Grenade" best I can recall, and it is! It has a point tip rather than a chisel, so it starts easier, and then pushes in four directions as it is driven in, much as the HF wedge looks. I like the one I have, use it more than the chisel type, which I also have.

Jerry_NJ said:
I have a cone shaped wedge, not HF, called "The Grenade" best I can recall, and it is! It has a point tip rather than a chisel, so it starts easier, and then pushes in four directions as it is driven in, much as the HF wedge looks. I like the one I have, use it more than the chisel type, which I also have.

I picked up a "grenade" (or something similar) at HF when I purchased my first wedge. I was splitting red oak. I had the grenade over half way into the round and then it bounced back out. It did the same thing several times so I took it back to HF and bought 2 more of their other wedges.
It looked like this:
96071.gif

That looks like what I have. I do buy from HF, so it could be exactly the same. I've never had any problem with it bouncing out, but then I usually use it with a hand sledge, not a maul or over-the-head sledge. I'm not sure I have ever split any Red Oak either, but Oak is common around here, may be Black Oak.

I'd like ot try one of those twisty ones, but there is no HF near me...I think there's one an hour away.

My wood grenade works well enough...bounced out of some red oak, but to be fair it was frozen absolutely solid.

Never been crazy about flat bladed wedges...too annoying to start. Been using pointed wedges for a long time.

That’s what’s nice about these wedges; they taper down to almost a knife like edge. Very easy to start and I have not had one bounce out yet. I’ve split about 8 cord of red oak and 2 cord of maple and they work great. You can also purchase them on line if you don’t have a store near you. http://www.harborfreight.com/

90873.gif

I have several standard tapered type wedges, an Estwing wedge with the extra 'wings" near the top, and one of the cone style wedges like BigV has pictured above (got mine at Tractor Supply) ALL have bounced out on me at one time or another, often several out of the same log...

I think the cone wedge is easier to start, but is slightly more likely to bounce.

IMHO bouncing is mostly a function of how green / wet the wood is - I notice that most of the time when I get a "bouncer log" it is also one that shows moisture around the area that I'm driving the wedge into. Stuff that's at least partly seasoned is less trouble.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.