Hard Ash or "Clinckers"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff09

Jan 8, 2009
Lancaster, PA
A friend calls them “clinckers.” I call them a pain.

I have a Quadrafire Mt Vernon. I just switched to a different pellet because that’s what the Agway had and I was down to my last eight bags.

Now, the pellets don’t burn as well as the others. They often pile up in the firepot and then it moves into a shutdown/autoclean mode to dumpthis hard ash into the bin. Before, I had low quantity of powdery ash. Now I have lots of hard ash or clinckers.

The manual suggested changing my feed rate, but it didn’t say how to. It also suggested changing the feed type from hard wood pellet to utility pellet.

Does anyone have any advise or experience with this, please?

Thanks!

I would try running on utility pellet setting if I were you. If you have a crappy pellet utility setting will autoclean every 1.5 - 2 hours which should take care of your problem. Are you running on hardwood setting now?

Yes. I did switch to Utility Pellet and it is self-cleaning, as you have written, every 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

Do you have any suggestions for a better pellet? (After I burn the next 40-some bags I have left.)

jeff09, call your local lowes,home depot, stove dealer and get a list

then people can let you know of the quality, or there are probably threads about it here just search

Good morning,

I am having the same issue with the same stove, did changing the settings fix the problem? What brand of pellets are you having trouble with?

Yes. Changing it to "Utility Pellet" stopped it from building up in the firepot, but it shuts down now and self cleans about every 2 hours. The brand was Ironstone Mills out of Leola, PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.