Hard Clumps in burn pot...Is that normal??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joker3092

Aug 18, 2010
Albrightsville, PA
hey guy's

It's my first year with a pellet stove and have burned a few times so far this season, i cleaned out my burnpot yesterday and noticed there were some hard clumps of ash in the burn pot....This is the first time i have noticed this,,, i have cleaned it a few times before but havent had any clumps before......The stove i have is a p22 breckwell and am burning the hardwood heat pellets that are sold at TSC anyway wasn't sure if this is normal or not?

Some pellets will form what is refered to as a clinker which sounds like what you describe. When I burn Lignetics I get a light ash but not much clinker. When I burn Somerset pellets the flame is hotter and after several hours hard clumps appear, after a day a birds nest like clinker will form. If I feel like tending the fire. I cast the clumps to the ash pit after several hours of burning but I can't really say there is much difference in efficiency either way. There is a difference between a clinker and unburned pellets. if you have unburned pellets you may need a cleaning and/or to adjust your fuel feed and air combination.

clinkers generally form (easier) from a lower quality pellet. Namely, it's NOT the wood that causes it, but other impurities in the stock before it was made into a pellet that don't burn correctly. Some ash my also fuse together if the air ratio isn't ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.