Hard Maple Hung Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is a hard maple hung up on some smaller maples, smaller maple last time I checked had more pressure on it than the previous time.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0262-2.jpg
    100_0262-2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 510
Now thats ugly, cant see enough of the base

smokinjay said:

The base you can't see enough is the second maple, there is another hung up on that. I have been looking it over and just seems to dangerous.

Zap

Is the one that is almost horizontal still in the ground or could you winch it off?

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

The base you can't see enough is the second maple, there is another hung up on that. I have been looking it over and just seems to dangerous.

Zap

I normally would go all guns blazing but this one is pretty UGLY even for me..

SolarAndWood said:
Is the one that is almost horizontal still in the ground or could you winch it off?

To big for the winch on the rhino.

Zap

Gotcha, time will finish the job.

Sometimes it;s just not worth it

Just start dropping some of those nearby trees on top of the hard maple until the whole pile falls. What could go wrong?

Wood Duck said:
Just start dropping some of those nearby trees on top of the hard maple until the whole pile falls. What could go wrong?

Maybe this will bring it down, this is the weather for Wednesday in our area.

THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR 4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION ACROSS THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS ON WEDNESDAY.

* GUSTY SOUTHEAST WINDS OF 20 TO 35 MPH WILL ACCOMPANY THE MIXED WINTRY PRECIPITATION AT TIMES DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY... ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

Zap

zapny said:
Wood Duck said:

Maybe this will bring it down, this is the weather for Wednesday in our area.

THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR 4 TO 8 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION ACROSS THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS ON WEDNESDAY.

* GUSTY SOUTHEAST WINDS OF 20 TO 35 MPH WILL ACCOMPANY THE MIXED WINTRY PRECIPITATION AT TIMES DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY... ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

Zap

stong plan there look forward to new PIC's

I ain't standing there lookin' at it and so this is all based on the pic only.... and my eyesights going bad.... so keep that in mind :)

Looks like I'd clean up whatever all that little stuff is around the base of it if it was safe to get in there and do that. If not safe to do that then I'd go to plan B.

Plan B .... I've been known to get a long rope, lay it out real nice on the ground, tie one end of it around an appropriate weight, and throw that sucka up over the highest part I can find on the leaner. Sometimes it takes several tosses, sometimes the weight comes back down and almost kills ya, but eventually, I can get a rope around way up top. Then, after looking real close, and if it appears the persuasion will only need to be light, I'll hook up my come-a-long right to that rope and start crankin sideways or whatever is needed til the thing comes down, being sure to be in a safe spot far from the the leaner so's as not to get killed, and being aware of possible widowmakers in the process.

Otherwise, I'll fasten chain to the rope, if it looks to be a real tug of war to get the thing down, and pull chain up and around the thing, then commence with the come-a-long.

I like the old come-a-long because it's safe, if ya don't do stupid stuff, it allows me to keep a safe distance from the tree that I'm yankin' on and it keeps me off the tractor, which eliminates another potential source of problems.....I've taken down many a leaner this way.

Widowmaker.
Stay out of the bush, at least felling, on a windy unsettled weather day.

Glad I don't have to tackle those widow makers anymore. When the kids were younger they would gravitate to trees like that so I had to cut 'em down. Now I let the guy that put there take 'em down.

70 mph wind here today an it usally heads east. .

and collects a little moisture when it passes over Lake Ontario.

SolarAndWood said:
and collects a little moisture when it passes over Lake Ontario.

maybe some bricks trees powerline lines as well

Status
Not open for further replies.