Hard Maple Log Length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Since I can only cut on the weekends I decided to order 12 face cord of hard maple for $480.00 so I can get a year ahead, is this a good price?

zap

NHFarmer said:
That sounds like a sweet deal

Turns out the phone number the local stihl dealer gave me that supplies him is my cousin.

Zap

just got cheaper ;-)

zapny said:
12 cord of hard maple for $480.00
is this a good price?
I hate you. You already know it's a good price and are just rubbing it in.
OK, maybe hate is a harsh word... I envy you. I paid $1200 for 12 cord of Black Ash which doesn't have as many BTUs.

Oh wait... you're from NY. Don't New Yorkers have those smaller face cords that they call cords? Now I don't feel so bad.

LLigetfa said:
Oh wait... you're from NY. Don't New Yorkers have those smaller face cords that they call cords? Now I don't feel so bad.

They stack just like Labatt Blue bottles!

zap

Is that face cords or full cords? Does your cousin have a sister?

JoeyD said:
Is that face cords or full cords? Does your cousin have a sister?

It's face cord, he called it cord and then explained it was 12 face cord. I think it's still a good price, plus it will allow me to do some walleye fishing this spring and summer. Thanks for pointing that out, I edited my first post.

Zap

LLigetfa said:
zapny said:
12 cord of hard maple for $480.00
is this a good price?
I hate you. You already know it's a good price and are just rubbing it in.
OK, maybe hate is a harsh word... I envy you. I paid $1200 for 12 cord of Black Ash which doesn't have as many BTUs.

For anyone I mislead I apoligize.

zap

That is more expensive than guys on the north side of Syracuse are selling cut and split for. If it weren't for the 50 mile rule and the threat of jail time, I'd load up the big dump and run a load up north for you:)

SolarAndWood said:
That is more expensive than guys on the north side of Syracuse are selling cut and split for. If it weren't for the 50 mile rule and the threat of jail time, I'd load up the big dump and run a load up north for you:)

$40.00 a F/C for Hard Maple is better then some of the other guys wanted and they could not guarantee all Hard Maple only a mixture of Hard Maple, Soft Maple,Cherry and Ash.

Plus this will get me a year ahead, that makes it worth while for me. Since I started burning Hard Maple it's got me hooked. So far I only have 1 F/C for next year.

zap

Zap,

Is this wood you're gonna burn now? Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't you posted about a million pictures of cherry that you've bucked? I am just envious. I DO like the way you're thinking. Scrounging and processing wood really cut into my fishing last year. I like your priorities. Perhaps I should just buy some wood for next year too - it would be worth it to get alittle more fishing in.

How many face cords equal 1 cord? 3? Seems like a good deal to me.

basswidow said:
Zap,

Is this wood you're gonna burn now? Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't you posted about a million pictures of cherry that you've bucked? I am just envious. I DO like the way you're thinking. Scrounging and processing wood really cut into my fishing last year. I like your priorities. Perhaps I should just buy some wood for next year too - it would be worth it to get alittle more fishing in.

How many face cords equal 1 cord? 3? Seems like a good deal to me.

This wood will be for next heating season, with our wood stove installed in the basement the Hard Maple makes a huge difference for heating the upstairs once it starts to get cold and yes I do have about 10 -12 face cord of Cherry for next year.

zap

That is a hell of a good deal for hard maple. Works out $40./face cord. That is similiar to the deals I have around my area with a few local farmer/friends. You get to cut/split yourself which =quality saw time, + you know your wood will be good and seasoned come next year.
Buy another 20 face cord worth of logs now!!!

iceman said:
not sure about pricing in ny but 12 face is really 4 full cord??? right??? so you are paying 120 a full cord and you have to do the work.....
don't know where you are but check this out before you buy
http://catskills.craigslist.org/grd/1514371417.html
http://catskills.craigslist.org/for/1511760966.html
compare to those prices and you are paying to much i think
http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/for/1524537105.html

+1 for my area there is a tree company selling for 25.00 a pic up load and as much as you can get on it! Already spilt thats as cheap as I can produce it myself.

smokinjay said:
iceman said:
not sure about pricing in ny but 12 face is really 4 full cord??? right??? so you are paying 120 a full cord and you have to do the work.....
don't know where you are but check this out before you buy
http://catskills.craigslist.org/grd/1514371417.html
http://catskills.craigslist.org/for/1511760966.html
compare to those prices and you are paying to much i think
http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/for/1524537105.html

+1 for my area there is a tree company selling for 25.00 a pic up load and as much as you can get on it! Already spilt thats as cheap as I can produce it myself.
If I could find a deal like that, I'd sell my splitter and retire from wood processing. The chainsaw would only see storm cleanup work. That's way cheaper than what I pay for logs.

The only problem with that is that I'm so anal about the bucked length and perpendicular cuts. It's got to be 20", not 22" and not 18". Those tree service guys cannot make a perpendicular cut if their lives depended on it, never mind expecting consistent lengths.

CowboyAndy said:
think he will deliver out my way? thats a pretty good price. the guys here are getting 65 a face c/s/d right now...

Two other places I spoke with wanted $75.00 & $77.00 per face cord and they would only bring a mixture of cherry,ash,soft maple and hard maple.

Zap

$77? Really? Sounds like I should get up to camp and make some firewood. Might even put a dent in the property taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.