Hard Maple Ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Huh? I've burned some small ends and uglies css this last April with Niels yesterday/today. And they are burning just fine, can't see any steam oozing out.
Will try a proper split tonight. Could they be ready?

Can you hear any hissing? Those short cut-offs might be drier than the splits are. Not sure about the uglies...if they aren't too big and thick, they might be pretty dry, too. I've not had much hard Maple to burn yet but the stuff I do have is real dry at 2 yrs.

My BIL took a large one down last fall against my direction and it was a monster. The weight and growth rings are very close to the hickory growing right next to it. I think it feels like it weighs more than the hickory.
Anyway it wasnt quite there in Oct when I tried it. I havent split any and MM it. I had a hard time splitting it green. Im burning the limbs now with hickory but I pushed it to the back of the lineup.
Maybe end of month. Also it was quite dry when it came down and was cut up. Dryer than the rest of what I cut up last fall. I usually test fresh cut just for laughs but I was in a bad mood about this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.