Hard Maple / Saturdays Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Did some clearing tonight so I could get the rhino up in this area, found some beech and hard maple. This is the area with the good size quaking aspen.

Going back in Saturday for a full day, the beech then all the hard maple pictured plus two other hard maple that will have to be winched down.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1130.jpg
    100_1130.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_1132.jpg
    100_1132.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_1133.jpg
    100_1133.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_1134-1.jpg
    100_1134-1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 257
More easy pickin' there Zap.

Backwoods Savage said:

Hope so, Sav in the last picture with the two maples crossed I'm thinking cutting the bottom maple close to the stump is the way I should go, any thoughts?

zap

You could do that Zap but I always much prefer to cut the top one first. Also, if you do it with the top one first, make sure you stand on the left side of it as it will want to slide down as you cut it. That sliding down is what you really want too. Once the top one is done that bottom one will be super easy.

I pretty much agree with you Dennis. But I can't tell how much tree is on the far side of the crossing. The butt of the tree may go up and to the left.

Billy

Billy, it is possible that could happen but if you are cutting into firewood lengths, it would happen so slow it should be no concern and also would go up as it went left. Naturally one would want to look over the tops first. Also, in looking at the top in the picture, it is against another tree which would stop the top from swinging right and the butt swinging left.

As always, it is better to determine when at the tree rather than through photographs but these are small trees so should give no problems. And as Zap asked, he could also cut that bottom one right at the butt first but that would probably not be the way I'd do it.

You have a winch, much safer.....

Backwoods Savage said:
You could do that Zap but I always much prefer to cut the top one first. Also, if you do it with the top one first, make sure you stand on the left side of it as it will want to slide down as you cut it. That sliding down is what you really want too. Once the top one is done that bottom one will be super easy.

I thought that top one would act like a teetertooter and come up, I will take another look and see if the top of the tree is hung up or loose.

zap

zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hope so, Sav in the last picture with the two maples crossed I'm thinking cutting the bottom maple close to the stump is the way I should go, any thoughts?

zap

When I first read that, I took you to mean bottom of the photo, as in the one with the rootball. In any event, I think the others are talking about the one on top being the tree that is lying on top of the other. Make sure the rootball doesn't snap back on you if its under tension. I had that happen once when there was only a little bit of tension on it, but it still surprised me when it jumped up a foot or two.

astrodon said:
zapny said:
Backwoods Savage said:

zap

When I first read that, I took you to mean bottom of the photo, as in the one with the rootball. In any event, I think the others are talking about the one on top being the tree that is lying on top of the other. Make sure the rootball doesn't snap back on you if its under tension. I had that happen once when there was only a little bit of tension on it, but it still surprised me when it jumped up a foot or two.

I have a pole saw (stihl) I think can get through the bottom maple at the point it's broken off which should make cutting the top maple safer.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.