hard time distinguishing which maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropelie

Dec 19, 2013
Iowa
I have two big maples in my yard which are on their way out. The first is the healthiest one and I included a picture of a fresh split and bark. The next picture is of the big guy whose 80% dead. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2015-12-01 12.48.02.jpg
    2015-12-01 12.48.02.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 232
Second one. More defined bark and the branches go out like a crown as opposed to up

Attachments

• 2015-12-01 12.49.44.jpg
    2015-12-01 12.49.44.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 169
And of course I gotta show off the goods! About 8 cords c/s/s. Tall stack is fresh from last week and should be good to go in 18/19. Another row behind the front stack you can't see. 2.2 cords ready to go this year! 2nd year burning and love every minute!

Attachments

• 2015-12-01 12.52.48.jpg
    2015-12-01 12.52.48.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: Fred Wright
For me identifying a maple is easy, but distinguishing between them on bark alone is not. I use leaves. If the margins are serrated its red, silver or soft. If the margins are smooth, its one of the hard maples. The mature tree looks like the mature reds I have in my yard, but without seeing in person I'm not sure. The split could go either way for me, but leaning towards a red. Nice stacks. My 2nd year as well. 10 cords total, with 3 burnable this year. The maple should be well dry in a couple years.

A leaf ID with the bark pic would make this a more sure thing, but if I had to guess, I would go with Norway on top and Silver on the bottom.

Not so sure on the split. But I have to agree with silver on bottom. Not the best for firewood, but not, by far, the worst.

You've come to the right place to show off the wood. The first tree that you said was healthiest is a Norway. No other native maples have that bark. And that is great firewood. The second one I thought was Sugar but I dont know if Iowa is in the range for it. And because everyone is saying Silver.
If you need to know for sure, can you post a leaf? If you can find one.

Thanks everyone that was what iwas expecting. I had a leaf from each but they are no gone. The dead one ia definitely coming down and I will try to salvage the Norway

Norway is pretty tough, they arent bothered by too much.
The other one looks like a good wind will blow it down.
I had a dead Elm that was down to bare wood growing on the side of a metal building. And we had a hurricane and I prayed and prayed that I didnt lose the roof and if the tree made it thru the storm I was gonna pay someone to take it down.
I paid 450.00 for it. It was the most expensive cord of wood I ever bought, but Im very grateful.

I agree definitely Norway and probably Silver. Both are good firewood, the Norway being better than the Silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.