Hard time picking a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avanderheuel

Nov 27, 2010
Harrisville MI
OK so I just bought a 950 SQFT block house. Walls as far as I know are not insulated but are dry wall in the inside. Attic I am unsure about but will add if need be. I would like to spend 1500 or less. I am looking to burn 24-7. But to get that it seems I need a big stove, thing is I don't want to be blown out of the house by its heat output..

Thoughts, recommendations?

The problem with your setup is that you try to heat a relatively small space but it is badly insulated and the walls will probably eat a lot of heat. That suggests a somewhat larger stove would be appropriate. However, once you insulate your place that could be way overkill and a (small) cat stove would be much better. Your budget is also a limiting factor. Now, heating yourself out of the house should not really be a problem. You always control how much heat you will get by the amount of wood you put in the stove. Of course, don't expect 10+ hours burn time then. Is your goal to only rely on woodheat or would you be open to turn the furnace on when it gets really cold and the stove may not cut it anymore? Could the stove go out in the early morning hours and the furnace take over as needed? Or do you strive for 100% woodheat?

Stay away from the old VC. Research it, if you don't believe me.
PE Super 27? Capable of running low and slow yet has the ability to crank when needed.

Reactions: avanderheuel
What are peoples thoughts on an older VC Dutchwest?
That's a cheap way to get some heat, if it's in decent shape, plus an extra cat. Nothing fancy. I'm running one right now. Doesn't look too bad from what I can see. Look for signs of overfiring and try to find out how they ran the stove. You can take the top off by removing four bolts. Then you can see the cat, bypass area, etc. Parts ain't cheap for the VCs. If there are no warped or cracked parts and you are handy, you might be able to seal the vertical seams in the box, replace the gaskets ($60,) and have a long-burning little stove that will give you time to figure out what you want to do long-term. The blower will pull more heat off the stove, but isn't the most quiet I've heard...

Last edited:
The PE Super would also be high on my list. Maybe the PE True North if the budget is really tight but you won't get the super-log burn times of the Super. Other options of mid-size stoves (not all in your budget):
Lopi Endeavor or 1750
Regency 2400
Osburn 2000
Quadrafire 4300
Englander Madison (new stove, availability still limited, one of the cheaper options)
A medium Drolet stove: http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/stoves/medium (another budget stove manufacturer)
Napoleon 1400

Status
Not open for further replies.