Hard time sharpening my Stihl chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A trick that works for me is to slightly pull up against the cutter, as opposed to pushing into the link.
This is what I do as well^^^ Just slight upward pressure keeps the file from sinking down into the links etc and reduces binding a great deal.

Trick Eric Johnson taught me here nine years ago. Sharpen one side of the chain and then flip the saw on its top and sharpen the other side the same way. Works best on a bench in a vice on the bar. Eliminates uneven angles and stopped me from making C shaped cuts in big rounds.

So does flipping the chainsaw upside down cause any issues with fluids like oil or gas leaking or spilling?

Nope. My saws leak more sitting flat on the floor than they do turned upside down.

Well by golly, I think I just might give that a try! Although I have fairly good results right now; my vice is set at the end of the workbench and this allows me to do one side of the chain and then step in behind the saw and do t'other side.... nonetheless I do notice a slight difference in the size of the cutters as I get towards the end of the life of the chain, so there's still room for improvement..... Thanks for the good ideas people! :)

I went at it again with a resolve to really figure it out. I turned the saw upside down and it did help some. I slowed myself down and thought my way through it and managed to correct the unbalance, the cutters on the right had way too deep an undercut. So bottom line is operator error on my part. Beats me why I seemed to have lost my technique after 40 plus years, but it seems to be the case. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.