Hard to Imagine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
I know my fuel supply is so-so at best. After buying some wood that was about as green as stuff I had cut a month before (not that I was intending on burning that, just for reference) I had to buy some more. was about to get some oak that was 2 year old. I understand why some cough backwoods cough say so long for oak. it really does need many season changes. anyhow the stuff from the second load burned quite well and in this coldest part of winter kept us pretty warm. after lots of wet snow and rain, my dwindling stack was getting wet because the tarp roof just wasn't doing the job anymore. so I brought some inside figuring drying it out by the stove should help. not exactly, has not been burning with the enthusiasm I have grown accustom to.

so what did I do?

Been remodeling the house, just so happen to have shorties and end cuts of some fine red oak hardwood flooring that have been gathering dust. it is amazing the difference what only two or three of those bits will do for a struggling fire.

I vow to get so far ahead I dont have this issue come future winters, and a proper wood shed. and a bigger stove. geez I got lots of work ahead.

I think every wood burner has spent the first few years struggling with managing their pooly seasoned wood and hating the stove, thinking it was defective. I think it took me 3 winters to finally get the whole system dialed in.

yeah i just need to burn $2.00sq.ft. hardwood flooring and im golden. probably wouldnt offset my costs much.

eh live and learn. I did figure im going to need a larger stove in general, but maybe that biggest lesson is to get far far ahead.

you know that's what I use some of those ECO bricks for, even with good seasoned wood .....Works for me ..

Find ya some ash. Ash is drie wood green. Burns well right out of the tree. It is my favorite firewood. Oak is probably my least favorite, why, because an oak tree is a sponge and the wood is porous and holds alot of water. As everyone harps on here about 2-3yrs to dry oak. If you cut it in the right season ash can be dry in a few months. Or will work sooner. Some maple can be good too and cherry. Nice tight grain wood that dries fast.

I got a package as a Christmas present of the eco bricks, burn interesting, they work for sure. Don’t like the black, not really charcoal mess they make, but like the heat. I was using those as a supplement, I cut them in thirds with a miter saw. Only problem, I ran out last night so it was back to the scrap pile.

Eh oak is great, if you had it sit for awhile. I will have to work on finding me some ash though. Work real hard at it. that and the black locust.

Stump_Branch said:
I vow to get so far ahead I dont have this issue come future winters, and a proper wood shed. and a bigger stove. geez I got lots of work ahead.

A great vow! Get 2-3 years ahead and your worries are in the past. Get even more ahead and you can smile when the cold weather hits. You'll also sometimes shake your head when you read of others having problems and then realize that you too had those problems.

We've had dry wood and we've had not-so-dry wood. Dry is better!

I must admit to, while havent been around it most of my life, being around and doing just arent the same. My inital thoughts were most of you who preached the 2-3+ years ahead as being well wood nuts. people off the deep end, and while its a GREAT passion, just figured it was puffery. I just always assumed that you let wood sit a year and its good. well you know what happens when you assume, ass-u-me, in this case me.

well lesson learned. I figure i will be scrounging and cutting all year. i am actually getting quite antsy about breaking out the saw again. tried to find a job as a feller, nothing came though yet.

anyhow, heres my un-offical, offical thank you to those who have been there, done that, learned the hardway, smile when they have to watch others do the same. smile away, for now. soon ill be the one kicked back with a grin ear to ear, soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.