Hard to think about wood with the new toy--any Jeepsters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hey All,
Haven't been around much, what with the weather and all. But really, it's because my wife and I decided it was time for a new toy. This thing is a blast, and it's really gotten us to get out and do stuff!

S
ForumRunner_20120704_070039.jpg

My jeep is in pieces in the shop (it's a 1949 wagon). Has been dismantled for 8 years now, I put a 10" lift under it, installed a Ford 302 with a toploader 4 speed tranny adapted to the original twin stick transfer case. I think I'm gonna change out the drivetrain with a Cummins 4BT diesel that I can run biofuel in, so that is another project in itself. I'll start back up on it when if I ever get the house done! :p That toy you got looks like a lot of fun!

Reactions: fox9988
I have a work in progress. It is my wife's first car, and 85 CJ7 that she bought in 1986.
It's rust free, unheard of around here, because it spent most of it's life in the south.
I've soda blasted it to bare metal and primed it, rebuilt the motor, tranny, transfer case and suspension.
It really surprises me what that little thing can do when in 4wd, almost unstoppable.

Take those doors off and have a blast.

Reactions: ScotO and fox9988
Scott, I went to my senior prom in my buddy's '59 Willys wagon. That was in '88.

Reactions: ScotO
Glad to hear you having a good time in that jeep! Always wanted one. Came close a few years back but settled for a better deal on an X-Terra. Since the SUV I picked up wasn't topless, and I wanted a toy, I wound up with this last summer. Been playing around ever since making it right.

DuneBuggy008.jpg

hmm, pic reminds me I'm due for inspection.

Have fun, do you have one of these on it?

$(KGrHqF,!mEE69QqOuzZBO8pFY8O0Q~~60_3.JPG

pen

Reactions: tfdchief and ScotO
Scott, I went to my senior prom in my buddy's '59 Willys wagon. That was in '88.
I love those old wagons....they were everywhere back when I was a teenager (around '87-'90), found this one in New Jersey it had been sitting in a carport behind a house since the mid '60's. There was an inspection sticker on the window dated '64. Fairly solid, I did replace the front floorpans because they had to come out when I removed and modified the firewall to accept the V8 a little better. It'll be neat when it's done (if that ever happens!) :rolleyes:

A high school girlfriend in the sixties drove her daddy's Jeepster. We loved and loved in that thing.

Funny coincidence... we just bought a jeep (2011 Wrangler Ultimate). Our winters are generally pretty mellow, but one strong season threw about two feet of snow on the ground, and even my 4WD pickup with chains on all four had trouble getting around, which baked the wife's noodle a bit. The jeep has a few extra inches of clearance and arguably better 4WD (limited slip in the rear and the tires are much wider), but I don't think we'll need that extra level of snow handling very often (seriously, that amount of snow generally falls here maybe once a decade). We're getting a hard top for it, so I think we basically got a convertible SUV. For dry-weather wheelin', I'll still stick with the truck (1990 Toyota pickup). The other 99% of the driving will be done in our Subaru Forester (better gas mileage and it still has decent off-road capabilities - it's infrequent that our driving needs require that difference in off-road handling between the truck+jeep and the Subaru).

I am, however, looking forward to taking the (removable - that's neat) doors and roof off for rides on occasion.

Reactions: tfdchief and ScotO
I had a 2005 wrangler years back. Fun to drive but loved fuel. Get ready to start waving , almost every jeep owner will wave at you:)!

My 81 CJ5..totally rebuild by myself and my father.

0603121748.jpg

My daily driver 07 JK...3.5" lift, 35s, 5.13 gears...

DSCF0741.jpg

new project I bought two summers ago and havent started yet...

IMG_6165.jpg

Little family pic while my red CJ was in restoration process!

IMG_6138.jpg

I had a Jeep back in the 1990s . . . I think it was a '92 . . . had a love-hate relationship with that Wrangler.

Loved: Riding in the summer with the top down and the doors off . . . loved the Jeep wave and comraderie . . . loved how it could turn on a dime.

Hated: The handling in the snow . . . handling in general with the solid rear axle . . . lack of heat in the winter . . . lack of storage . . . lack of power (4 banger) . . . but most of all the reliability as I had more things break on that vehicle -- even blew an engine at around 60,000 miles.

Today I find my truck so much more useful and powerful . . . but sometimes on those hot, sunny days I think fondly back to my Jeep days.

JonJeep.jpgJonJeep2.jpgJonJeep3.jpg
Here are some pics of my brother-in-law's lifted Jeep with the large tires. A pretty cool CJ-5.

Photos taken on Bald Mountain in Wasilla . . . at least I think it was in Wasilla . . . and a local Meet and Greet held at the Transportation Museum in Wasilla a few weeks back.

Jeep? How about a 1959 FC150
Maybe you could tell me what this bumper was used for??
jeepbumpersm.jpg
jeep_sm2.jpg

Oh - and I drive a Grand Cherokee for a daily driver.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Oh that bumper again!

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I was sad because I thought no one was responding! I must not have checked off the notification box.
Anyhoo, havin' a blast--I'm starting to understand the slogan "It's a Jeep thing."
The major reason I picked this up is that I wanted a convertible and quad, but I have two kids under two and wouldn't be able to use either. With the Jeep, I get both!

S

Its really a life long problem. My parents have only driven jeeps for over 40 years, and I have never owned anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.