Hard wood snob with a bunch of pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I am one of those New England hardwood snobs because we have the luxury of using oak and maple as easily as the Coloradans use pine. I just had 15 white, red and pitch pine trees dropped on my property and have a 2-3 cord stack of crooked 12' logs stacked in my back yard. I have a guy who is willing to take the wood for pulp for free. I am also thinking that I have 2-3 cord of free wood in my back yard and should cut, split, stack, and burn it, as it is very convienently in my backyard. but the snob in me says "why should I spend all that time and energy on 1/2 the BTUs when I could just get rid of it and cut , split, stack and burn hardwood". What do you think?

The only thing better than free wood is free and easy wood. I'd burn it.

Id keep it. The red pine has a heat value just a little under American elm. Its all great for fall and spring fires mixed with a little hardwood, and good for getting your fire burning hot in a hurry added in with a hardwood load.

I'd read it as when I cut, split and stack it, I won't be lifting as much weight...

Burn it.

because it's 1/2 the work of cutting, felling, and transporting oak to your house. The Pine is there already. 1/2 the work is done, so you have your Oak equivalent already. Plus, pine is actually better than oak for certain times of the year and getting the coal bed to burn down while producing lots of heat in the evening.. I've become and "Oak over night: snob only. A nice piece of cedar in the evening is awsome.

If it's already there, I would go ahead and burn it. It should split pretty easy too. To me, even the heat output isn't really an issue - you can burn pine just as hot as oak, you just have to stoke the stove more often. Probably the hottest fire I've ever had was a pile of pine 2x4's.

If you're really worried, you could keep the wood under a tarp, and shovel it it when no one is looking - save the oak for when company comes around! :)

Corey

DON'T BURN IT!!! Bad stuff. Fortunately for you though I have an incinerator just perfect for disposing of this toxic waste product. Contact me for directions on where to send it.

I'd give it to the first one to come and haul it away.

This is a timely thread as I have a next door neighbor with a nice amount of pine dropped by the power company. I've been wondering and after searching hearth a little bit, and seeing this thread, I believe I'll be knocking on their door tomorrow. Anybody think it would be ready to burn at the end of the season if I got busy right away?

That darned pine. There should be a law against it. The stuff is just sitting over there in the office stove right now making all of those stupid pretty flames, heating the place up, blowing a clear heat flume out of the chimney.

The stuff is crap. Stay away from it. Far, far away.

And call me the next time you drop three. It is a big trailer.

Keep it. Plus it is fun to rip through pine with a saw (it's like cutting warm butter).

As one of those Coloradans, who has an un-limeted supply of pine and cottonwood, and who is always scrounging for any type of hardwood, and when said hardwood is found feels like he has won the lottery, I wish I had the luxury of being a hardwood snob too. Oh how I envy you........but seriously pine burns just fine if your around to tend the fire.

Hay guys I must be a little nyeve but I thought burning pine created way to much creosote. Do you have to clean the chimney more often?
stove nut

Stove Nut said:
Hay guys I must be a little nyeve but I thought burning pine created way to much creosote. Do you have to clean the chimney more often?
stove nut

The only thing I have ever seen in the chimney after days of burning pine is a powdery brown ash. It doesn't build up so when the next hot fire comes along it probably ends up on my neighbor's lawn.

Stove Nut said:
stove nut

older stoves that can be damped down to the point of smouldering will create creosote. Today's modern stoves do not seem to. They burn the creosote too.

Status
Not open for further replies.