Hardest Wood to Split by Hand???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hardest Wood to Split by Hand? 6 Months or less bucked to 18" for those who want.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iod0816

Jan 4, 2010
Someplace in WMass
My vote: Black Birch by far. Split a cord of Hickory, no problem. My mystery wood comes in second. Splitting with the X27 kept razor sharp too BTW.

What's everyone's two cents?

Try splitting some hornbeam some call it snag around here. It don't split it shreds, grows twisted some are impossible to split even with hydrolic splitter

Elm is pretty tough, and I can't say that 6 month seasoned fir/spruce/pine much better if it has all of those branches coming out the sides on every piece...

Poplar, but only after the round has been seasoned. I've never split elm, but seasoned poplar will pull fibers instead of cracking apart (which requires hacking each split apart). Splits like a champ when it's green though.

Reactions: milleo
DBoon said:
Elm is pretty tough, and I can't say that 6 month seasoned fir/spruce/pine much better if it has all of those branches coming out the sides on every piece...

I'll attest to that. Last year I took down a large, dead standing Austrian pine that was in a windbreak. It had all sorts of branches and a good twist going up the trunk. Nasty.

For me elm is usually the roughest. Just tears and balls up in the hyd splitter if not seasoned. When seasoned it bounces the splitting maul right back at you ro tears in the hyd splitter. Had a hard time with some twisted apple once that almost made me wish for elm.

American Elm without question. Maybe 5% of the time I'll luck out & get some that dont have that interlocked grain.Not many left around here that are over 10"-12" diameter.

Sweet Gum. Hands down. I think it is called gum for a reason. It is like trying to split a truck tire.

I never enjoyed splitting apple wood that much.....remember it being a bit of a pain.

elm and cottonwood. I usually like to leave elm until the bark falls off before i cut it. Cottonwood i usually like to leave until it rots and is reincorporated into a better tree.

Reactions: Realstone
Definitely Elm for me

Remkel said:
I never enjoyed splitting apple wood that much.....remember it being a bit of a pain.

Yes. How about long-dead apple that has air-dried thoroughly where it fell? But, well worth the brutality required.

Worst ever I've split: swamp chestnut oak. For a friend. Could not be split by hand, with the counter-spiraling grain on the outside. Hydraulic splitter worked its little pump off with the stuff. It more like cut it, than split it.

Other -- elm.

I'm betting that about now iodonnell has realized he goofed on the list of hard to split. :lol:

Wow ELM across the board! I figured ELM but I don't really have access or touch the stuff so I've not had the hurt. I just had the thought after I split a whole lot of black birch. I have a sharp Fiskars and it'd take a lot of whacks on both ends to split, compared to the Shagbark. Pignut was just as hard but I guess now I'm thinking about the science of wood fibers now. I was splitting 36" rounds of shagbark hickory as fast as I could find them. Switched to some 12" rounds of Pignut, horrible. Switched to 24" black birch and where's my gloves! All 18" length.

Had some poplar too and that wet was like slicing a cake.

Now I'm thinking what actually influences the "splittability" of wood in the wood itself? Obviosuly grain, knots, branch formations but comparing apples to apples here.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll find some elm just for a brusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.