Hardhack Hunting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I went looking for some hardhack/ironwood today, we had a nice hardhack/ironwood down near the swamp then I ran down the trail in the rhino and bucked up about four or five that were down.

Pictures 100_1427 is the first hardhack down by the swamp, 100_1612 and 1613 is after bucking up the hardhack,picture 100_1617 we had four of these smaller hardhack that were down in the second area I cut in.

This will be some nice btu's for 2011 and 2012, also the reason I call ironwood hardhack is the oldtimers here call it that.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1427.jpg
    100_1427.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 100_1612.jpg
    100_1612.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 100_1613.jpg
    100_1613.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_1617.jpg
    100_1617.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 100_1620.jpg
    100_1620.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 291
Reminds me of yesterday when I went out and cut up a nice standing dead white oak. There was enough for almost a load and a half in the metal cart I use with my John Deere X500. Instead of making two trips I piled it all in the trailer and strapped the wood down so it wouldn't fall out.

Everything was fine until I had to go around a tree stump and didn't notice that one of the trailer tires hit the stump, as soon as that tire started to climb up the stump the whole trailer went right over. I thought for sure the trailer was going to be destroyed but I flipped it over, put all the wood back in and finished up. I looked at it after and the tounge is all twisted. Seems to work fine but it's a total mess. May need my uncle who is a welder to fix it.

How could I forget, right after this happened I got my saw pinched in a tree for the first time in years. Misread the lean of the tree. Good thing I still have my old Craftsman saw, that thing started up with 3 pulls after sitting for almost a year. Must be the Sta-Bil.

albertj03 said:
Reminds me of yesterday when I went out and cut up a nice standing dead white oak. There was enough for almost a load and a half in the metal cart I use with my John Deere X500. Instead of making two trips I piled it all in the trailer and strapped the wood down so it wouldn't fall out.

Everything was fine until I had to go around a tree stump and didn't notice that one of the trailer tires hit the stump, as soon as that tire started to climb up the stump the whole trailer went right over. I thought for sure the trailer was going to be destroyed but I flipped it over, put all the wood back in and finished up. I looked at it after and the tounge is all twisted. Seems to work fine but it's a total mess. May need my uncle who is a welder to fix it.

Sorry about the trailer, I did the opposite but the trailer stayed upright. When I was leaving the last spot I cut in I came around the corner and had a big dip on the left side, made it through and down the hill.

I've been in the same area about a dozen times with the rhino but this time stayed to far left, I think the big tires on the trailer helped in my case.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.